Chapter 3

°Will's pov°

*Flashback*

The last thing I remember is y/n leaving and promising to get us back home. A vine had snaked its way around my body and attached itself to my face again causing me to feel lightheaded and pass out.

I had my mind focused on y/n to distract from the pain. I had kissed y/n goodbye before they left, and if I'm being completely honest, I'm glad that they did. I had a feeling that something bad was going to happen to me and I didn't want to see them hurt. We had been through enough already.

The next thing I knew, I was waking up in a hospital bed. My mom and Jonathan were happy to see me and I guess went to tell the others that I was awake.

"Byers!" Mike, Lucas, and Dustin exclaimed as they all ran in the room to hug me.

"Hey! Be careful, be careful," my mom cautioned.

"You won't believe what happened when you were gone, man!" Lucas said.

"It was mental!" Dustin added.

They immediately began to recap the events of the past week. I couldn't help but smile as I was able to see all of my friends and family gather around me. My mind, however, kept drifting off to y/n. Where were they? My throat suddenly felt dry and itchy, and I covered my mouth to cough.

"You okay?" Mike had asked me.

"Yeah, I'm fine..."

Mike then went on to tell me about a girl they met named El. He said she helped look for me, but that she was gone now. I furrowed my eyebrows a little. Gone now? What did he mean by gone? Dustin chimed in mentioning something about a van, but my mind was elsewhere.

Where was y/n?

The boys continued to talk to me catching me up on everything that had happened while I was gone.

"W-where's y/n?" I asked, sitting up now.

It had occurred to me that I couldn't remember much before I passed out.

The room fell silent and my mom walked over to me.

"Honey... y/n went missing two days after you did," she said, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Th-they never found a body."

"Y/n wanted to help and went out looking for you," Mike added.

"No. They... they were with me. I don't remember where we were, but y/n was with me the whole time," I choked out, fighting back the tears forming in my eyes.

Everyone just looked at me in pity.

"Y/n promised they'd get us back home!"

"Will, Hopper and I are the ones who brought you back. We.... we didn't see y/n," the look in her eyes told me that she was being genuine.

Y/n really hadn't been rescued.

"No... I- they were there through everything! They- they promised that we'd both get back home."

I was sobbing at this point. I felt my mom pull me into a hug as she rubbed my back. I didn't even know exactly why I was crying. I couldn't remember what happened while we were gone, but I knew y/n and I had grown close, and that losing them hurt, a lot.

Soon, I was calmed down and given a set of clothes to change into. I was checked out of the E.R. about an hour later and was taken home by Jonathan.

"I missed you so much, you know."

"I know and I missed you too," I smiled slightly.

"Hey listen, about y/n... I'm sure they'll come back. I mean we actually thought you were dead, the whole town did, really, but you're not! You're here, you're alive, and you're safe. And y/n is too, okay?"

"Thanks Jonathan. I really hope so."

When we got home, I went straight to my bedroom. I was exhausted and my stomach felt funny.

"Okay, sweetie, I'll be in there in a minute," my mom said, kissing my forehead as I walked off.

I put on a fresh set of pajamas and climbed into bed. Mom and Jonathan came in shortly afterwards, kissing and hugging me goodnight.

"Mom?"

"Yeah?"

"I, um... I don't wanna be alone. Can you stay in here tonight?"

"Of course," she walked over and climbed into bed next to me.

"I'm so glad you're back home, thank God you're alive. I wasn't going to rest until I found you. People thought I was going crazy," she chuckled as she hugged me tightly.

"Thanks mom."

I instantly felt safety and comfort in her arms and my eyelids began to feel heavy. I easily started drifting off to sleep. As I did so, the thought of y/n still being trapped popped into my head, right along with a plan I was already hatching.

Y/n, I'm coming back for you. Just, please... hold on.