02

trigger warning: talk of self-harm

Luke scanned the letter. He couldn't believe his eyes. Because of him, because of their fight, Michael couldn't hold it together and he cut again.

This is all my fault, Luke thought, tears brimming the corners of his eyes. He folded the letter and laid it on his desk. He slipped his jacket on and ran as fast as his legs could take him to Michael's house.

There were no cars in his driveway, but Luke really hoped Michael was home. He needed to talk to him, in person. He knocked on the door several times.

"Luke?" Michael swung the door open, his voice shaking. He knew immediately that Luke had received and read his letter. "Come in."

Luke hastily walked in and began to pace the living room, running his fingers through his messy hair. "Why did you do it? Why did you cut?"

"I'm tired, Luke." Michael responded, sighing. "I'm broken."

"I want to fix you!" Luke nearly shouted. "I want to help you." He reached to pull his friend in for a hug, but Michael inched away.

"You can't help me." He frowned tightly. "No one can." His beautiful emerald eyes were now a dark, lifeless green that pained Luke to look into.

Luke sat down on the couch and avoided making eye contact. He sniffled loudly and hiccupped, knowing the tears were coming. All at once, they cascaded down his cheeks like a waterfall as he held his knees close to his chest. "Luke..." Michael muttered sympathetically, engulfing him in a hug.

"I... I'm sorry." Luke said minutes later after calming himself down a bit. "I hate it when we yell at each other... I hate it so much."

"I do, too. I'm just still upset, ya know?" Michael smiled weakly. "But I promise I won't cut again, and if I have any urges, to call you right away."

Luke nodded wearily and left his friend's house, still wiping the occasional tears. He was a mess, but he needed to show Michael that he was strong. Because if Luke wasn't strong himself, what reason would there be for Michael to stay strong?

Edited July 2019