chapter 26

The next day, Mary had changed completely from the friendly person she used to be. She became aggressive almost to everyone. She sat quietly in class without talking to anybody. When her classmates noticed how aggresive she had become, they stopped getting involved in her business. In the afternoon after class was over, she came out of class trying to go back to the hostel. She saw James walking close to her class, and she tried to avoid him. When he saw her going to the hostel, he followed and started talking to her."What do you mean by you loved me since your childhood?" James teased. She kept quiet without answering. He kept talking to her, asking her questions but she didn't utter a single word to him. While they were going, she noticed a broken bottle on the road. As she bent down trying to pick the pieces away from the road, a small piece cut her on the hand. Blood started dropping her hand and James tried to use his handkerchief to stop the blood from flowing. Immediately he held her hand, she turned to him with a sounding slap on his face."Don't ever touch me again you insolent jerk. Even if I was to die and you are the only person I will receive help from in this world in other to survive, I would rather die than to receive a help from you" she angrily said and walked away.
            *  *  *
Kamal tried talking to Sarah in class, but she refused to give him a chance to explain things to her.  He tried sending Peter to persuade her, but she still insisted that she must be left alone. It got to a point that even some of their classmates were beginning to notice how less interactive they became.
Is three days before those student offering geography in SS2 science classes were to go their field trip. Kamal, Fatima, Hafsat, James and Mary were among the 25 students who were to go. Kamal called his mum and informed her about the journey. His mum was so happy when she heard that he was going on a field trip. After class hours, Kamal knew Sarah will try to avoid him, so he took an excuse from the teacher teaching the last period and waited for her outside.
When the class ended, Sarah was trying to go the hostel. Before she realise it, Kamal was standing next to her."Listen to me Sarah, I need to talk to you" Kamal said."Okay I'm listening" Sarah replied."I'm sorry for whatever I did wrong that I have no idea of" Kamal said."Is that all you want to say" Serah asked."No, I want you to tell me exactly what I did wrong" Kamal request."Oh you are even pretending not to know. Is okay if you don't know, but the good news is that I don't want to be your friend anymore" she answered."Please tell me Sarah, what did I do wrong? As far as I could recall, I have never done anything that will jeopardize our friendship" Kamal insisted."It doesn't matter now, if you excuse me, I have something to do in the hostel" she replied and walked away.
In the evening, the students who were to go on the field trip gathered in the Geography lab for a lesson about their field trip. Kamal was not aware that Fatima will be going. He was so surprised and exhilarated when he noticed her in the field trip lesson. He wasn't desperate to go to the excursion until when found out that Fatima will be going. Their Geography Teacher, Miss Susan was a very young lady who hardly exceeds 23 years old. Some of the boys like talking to her due to her slim body nature, while the girls see her as their friend. She's so simple but knows how to deal with students who get on her nerves. During the lesson, she called out Kamal and Fatima to go into one of the inner rooms in the lab to bring out some maps and structures of mountain. When they got in to inner room, Kamal started glaring at Fatima with a smile."Hey, why are you looking at me like that?" She asked."Oh I just can't believe you also want to be an astronaut" Kamal teased."An astronaut? What makes you think I want to be an astronaut?" She questioned."Because you are interested in geography. And if you really want to be faithful to Miss Susan and Geography, you have to be an astronaut" Kamal laughed."I'm even scared of a height, taking an aeroplane and to even say more of sailing out of the planet" Fatima explained."Of course you are, someone who's scared of a lizard can be scared of anything" Kamal laughed."Kamal" Fatima called."My names sounds the most beautiful when you call it" Kamal smiled."Why is that you are the only boy in this world who can say things like this to me and go free with being punished" Fatima asked."Because I'm about to be your bestfriend. And when I become your best friend, I can say something more than what I have said and went free without being punished" Kamal smiled."And how sure are you that is possible" Fatima asked.At that point, Miss Susan called out their names."Are you two manufacturing maps before you bring them to me?" Miss Susan yelled. Kamal and Fatima suddenly remembered that they were being sent, and they hurriedly started looking for what they were asked to bring. When they got out of the room, Hafsat was laughing at them because she has already guessed what happened in the room.