chapter 12

In the morning around 5 am, Kamal started preparing for his journey before anyone in the house could wake up. He went to the bathroom and took his bath and wore one of the new clothes that Mr John bought him the previous day. He arranged everything bought to him in a new travelling bag. About 30 minutes later, Peter's mother woke up to wake Kamal. To her surprise, she found him already prepared. As soon as Kamal saw her, he stood up."Good morning Ma" he greeted."How are you my child?" She answered."I'm doing fine" Kamal replied."Since when did you wake up?" She asked."A couple of minutes ago" Kamal responded."Ok let me go and prepare something for you to eat" she said and walked to the kitchen.
Peter woke up upon hearing their conversation."Hey, so you've already gotten ready" Peter said."Yes I have" Kamal responded. Peter went to the bathroom to brush his teeth.
By 6 am, Kamal was ready to leave for his journey. Mr John was waiting for him outside in his car, he was going to drop him at a Motor park where he can easily get a car to Potiskum. Kamal said his goodbyes to Peter's mother while Ben and Jane were still sleeping."Please help me with this bag, it's too heavy" Kamal said and Peter helped him to carry it outside to the boot of the car. Peter's mom followed them as they moved with the bag."Thank you Ma, I'm so grateful for your help. I will never forget your kindness" Kamal said when he was about to enter the car."Don't mention it. Peter, why don't you go with your dad so that you will drop him together" Peter's mother suggested."Sure mom" Peter responded and he entered the car along with Kamal.
They stopped at a Motor park with a lot of buses parked side by side. The buses were to carry passengers to different parts of the country. One of the Motor park workers asked for where Kamal will be going."He will be going to Yobe state" replied Mr John."Then you are to pay 5000 Naira for the transportation" the worker Informed."Okay then here you go" Mr John handed him 5000 Naira and they all got down from the car.
Mr John opened the boot of the car and Peter helped Kamal in bringing down his bag."Here, you should manage this" Mr John handed Kamal 50 thousand Naira. Kamal collected the money looking so flabbergasted. He remained stalled for a moment not knowing what to say. He has never held such amount of money."Thank you sir, I really I'm so grateful" he finally said."Don't mention it, my regards to your family when you get home" Mr John adjoined. Kamal was taken to the bus which will be going to Potiskum and it was time for Peter and his father to go back home."You should give me a call when you get back home" Mr John said."I will sir, I don't know how I can ever repay your kindness" Kamal emphasized."Don't mention it" Mr John responded."Come Peter, let's go back" Mr John said as he returned to the  car."Goodbye Peter, I will call you as soon as I arrive." Kamal announced."Okay I will be waiting for your call" Peter concluded.
After Peter and his father left, it took the bus 30 minutes for the passengers to be completed. Around 6:45 am, their journey started. The bus was moving with good speed which made Kamal to be sleeping when they were on their way. At about 1:30 pm, they finally arrived at Potiskum. Kamal was so desperate to go home because he has a lot of stories to tell especially to his friends. He paid 2000 Naira for a driver to take him to Mazaga without waiting for more passengers even though he knew he wouldn't pay that much if the car was filled with passengers. The driver took him to the front of his home and dropped him there.
The instant he stepped down from the car, his two sisters saw him from the inside, they ran outside and hugged him and his mother came after them."Where did you get all this stuff from?" His mother inquired when she saw the clothes he's wearing and the new bag he had."Mom it’s a long story, but you are supposed to say welcome my son before asking me" Kamal responded with a smile."Oh welcome back, how was your journey?"His mother asked."It was ok mom" Kamal answered."Please help me to carry this bag inside" Kamal added, and his mom helped him in carrying the bag to his room. The room was so small with no ceiling and carpet, and there was a small mat on the floor which he used for sleeping."You came unexpected, we weren't expecting you today" Kamal's mom said."Yes I tried to call dad's phone number but his phone was always switched off" Kamal replied."Oh yes your father has lost his phone. By the way, how did you handle your transportation" she requested."My friend's dad paid everything for me, he even gave me 50 thousand Naira when I was leaving" Kamal showed her the money and he continued to tell her about Peter's family."They must be very nice people" Mrs Tanko Praised."Yes they are, I will give you my phone so that you will thank them" Kamal suggested." Let me show you my result mom, I was the overall best student in the whole set of SS2" Kamal announced."Wow! Really?" Mrs Tanko was amazed."Yes mom, I was even given some prizes for it which I haven't opened yet" Kamal Showed her the result with three envelopes. When Mrs Tanko opened one of the envelopes, she discovered that there was one 100 thousand Naira in it."Are you sure it was the school that gave you this?" Mrs Tanko asked with her eyes opened."Of course I am, they can even give me something more than this if they want to" Kamal assured."Then your school must be very rich" Mrs Tanko concluded."What did you bring for us from the city" Zara asked."Don't worry, I will give something special later" Kamal promised."But where is dad" Kamal wanted to know."He has travelled. He went for a course in Lagos and I don't think he will be coming back soon" Mrs Tanko replied."Let me prepare something for you to eat, these kids have eaten everything I cooked for lunch" Mrs Tanko continued."Okay mom, let me go out before the food will be done" Kamal said.