Chapter 36: Her Betrayal

Start from the beginning

"Born." Aiden stiffly answered.

"Do any one of your parents possess your ability?"

"Yes, my mother. I believe I inherited it from her, her blood runs through my veins quite well." He admitted.

"Please, if I may ask, may I know her name?

"Helena. Queen Helena of the Northern Isles."

Three things happened at once. Grandpabbie almost fainted, thankfully by the support of Bulda he managed to remain in stance. Many of the trolls gasped at the violent reaction Pabbie had made, while some whispered to each other's ear in gossip.

His voice broke at his first attempt to speak, Bulda rubbing his back to calm him down. Elsa and Anna looked at each other worriedly, while Kristoff folded his arms against his chest in suspicion.

Aiden's face shifted into a fearful expression, "Is something wrong?"

Pabbie regained his strength, breathing heavily, rubbing his forehead to sooth his headache. "H-helena... All these years, I thought she was dead."

The fire king's eyes widened, "You know my mother?! What.. How.."

"... You're Helena's son.." Bulda whispered in disbelief, "And I thought the craziest of things of what could have happened to her."

Aiden's face hardened, "Care to explain?"

Pabbie shakily nodded, motioning for the fire king's companions to come closer. Elsa, Anna and Kristoff walked closer and bent to the troll's height, so they could hear clearly.

"Many, many years ago, there was someone before you two," He motioned to Elsa and Aiden, "Who possess special abilities. And that would be your mother, King Aiden. Helena came from a kingdom from afar, one of which that isn't your typical kingdom at all. Way past the Enchanted Forest, past the glacier Ahtohallan... It is called the "Hidden City" since it is a kingdom that will only show itself to you if you're truly worthy of seeing its glory.

"Helena was eighteen when she had discovered our valley, poor little thing scared to her core when she saw us. She told us her backstory, of how she ran away from her own home since she was too caged from her father's protective clutches. She told us about where she came from, and it is very clear to us we have to keep her from the outside world since we knew that majority of people think how destructive fire can be. So, we raised her and made her our own kin,"

Pabbie's face darkened, "Not until her betrayal."

"Betrayal?"

"Let me continue. Helena is one curious girl—one rock after the other, a question there and there. It was that day where she met this blond haired prince while she had been exploring the woods."

Aiden's expression turned into one of astonishment, "My father."

"And you've got your father's eyes." Pabbie closely whispered, "She informed us about her planned departure, she told us that Abaddon had offered her to stay with him and travel with him back to his home, the Northern Isles. We tried our best to stop her, but Helena was too stubborn. She packed her belongings and hopped on the steed with him, and that was the last time we saw her."

Bulda sniffed, "We have treated her like our own, we gave her our trust and respect, and especially our love. But what did she do? She abandoned us, just like that. For a man she had barely known."

Aiden growled, "Yes, barely known. My father is nothing but a human embodied demon."

"By your statement, I believe your mother is regretting her past actions. It was a bad decision, but if she never ran away, she wouldn't have given life to you. How is she?"

"She had stepped to the supreme throne ever since my father's imprisonment."

"Imprisonment? Because of what offense?"

"Attempted murder, and attacking a foreign monarch. Serious cases, that caused for him to be stripped off the crown."

"Who did he try to kill? Which monarch?" Pabbie worriedly asked.

Aiden breathily answered, "Me, and Elsa."

Pabbie then turned to Bulda, nodding mysteriously. Pabbie returned his firm gaze at the king, in a demanding tone, "King Aiden, you have to find that hidden city, prove yourself worthy of seeing it. And learn about the secrets of your powers. The hidden city is way past Ahtohallan, so you need the help of the spirits of the Enchanted Forest to reach it successfully. Find the truth. And beware, my king..."

"An enemy has returned, and has fooled the people of the hidden city."