Chapter 14: Separation

"Well, well," a soft male voice came from up ahead as a tall, blonde elf parted the trees and stood before Einar's contingent. "Here I was expecting a group of uninvited travellers and we stumble upon the King of Daerlyre."

"Haladan." A small smirk spread across Einar's lips as he nudged his horse forward.

Haladan lowered his head in a respectful nod, lifting his hand in a gesture. As his hand lowered, the trees rustled around them, and a group of elven scouts exited the treeline and sheathed their weapons.

Haladan was exceptionally tall, and his hair was so blonde it nearly shone silver. He dressed differently from the wood elves, preferring lighter greens and silvers to the more dark and earthy tones of Einar's people. His grey eyes shone with interest as he carefully looked over the group before him. The rain left droplets on his pale skin, but he paid it no mind.

"The forest is riddled with orcs as of late, my lord Einar. What causes you to leave your kingdom under the guise of a common group of travellers?" Haladan stepped forward, his eyes watching Kyna with curiosity.

"I have become aware of some sensitive information and I am in need of the Lady of Alenia's expertise in finding a much-needed answer." Einar pulled back on the reigns of his mare, keeping her calm in the unrelenting drizzle that soaked her. She whinnied softly, shaking some drops from her mane.

Haladan was silent for a moment, allowing the sounds of the forest to drift into his ears.

"It must be a sensitive situation to warrant travelling with such a small party in an orc infested forest. More interesting beyond that, you travel in the company of a single human woman. I assume she has something to do with your requested audience with The Lady Laranal?"

"That is for her ears only, Haladan. I will elaborate no further until I speak with the Lady herself. I can assure you it is a matter of great importance. It is imperative this woman not fall into the hands of the orcs."

"As you wish," Haladan replied, nodding. "There is a fairly large group of orcs encamped just north of here, and you will need to adjust your course lest you come face to face with them."

"Sir!" Another one of Haladan's scouts burst through the treeline, his face contorted in worry. "There is another group of orcs almost upon us! We thought we had accounted for all groups, but this one seems to have come out of nowhere."

Haladan's expression turned grave, and he turned to Einar and his men. The rain pounded harder, thudding heavily against the ground. "There is a way certain to be clear of orcish threat. Are you willing to take a risk to make sure the woman reaches Alenia alive?"

Einar nodded curtly, his mouth pressed into a straight line. Kyna could feel his grip increase on the reigns, and she frowned.

"To the west, there is a pathway that will take you safely to Alenia. However, it is impassable by horse or foot due to the torrents of rain washing it out. This prevents the orcs from using it, but also any other traveller. Just beyond the path, there is a well-concealed cave. Head there with the woman and wait out the rain. Between your contingent and mine, we can easily deal with the orc parties and meet up with you when it is finished. My scouts and I cannot handle both parties alone."

"We can't just leave them!" Kyna exclaimed, her eyes widening in Haladan's direction.

"My Lord," the elf at the head of Einar's party protested, nodding at Kyna's words, "What if you come across trouble and need aid? Is it wise to go off alone?"

Einar glanced down at Kyna, his expression one of formality. "If we do not, we take a grave risk." He then flicked his gaze to the elf, addressing him calmly but firmly. "Díllothon, I have fought many battles, and can take on a few stray orcs if needed. Besides, Kyna herself has proven quite resourceful in the heat of danger." A slight smirk flashed on his lips before a serious expression took over. "If the path is impassable as Haladan says, then we risk naught but a few if any. Our first priority is to ensure that Kyna gets to Alenia safely. I cannot stress how important it is that she not fall into the hands of the enemy."