Chapter 5

"Wake up my dear," Faye whispered, playing with Irwin's ash-blond curls as she tried to wake him up, but he only stirred and turned to the other side. And that’s when she started to scream.

"AHHHH!" Faye huffed and puffed after that causing Irwin to shoot straight from his sleep eyes wide like a mad man’s.

"WHAT HAPPENED?" He looked to his right and saw his wife doubling over with pain, her hands on her round belly and his eyes went even wider, all color drained from his face.

"The baby's on the waa-" Faye cut her sentence with another scream, causing Irwin to scramble to his feet and rush to her side.

"Okay okay," he started, eyes darting around for help, but they were in their rented room, and obviously they were all alone. "Deep breaths-deep breaths... Breathe-Breathe" he tried to demonstrate only to have her double over again. "Wha-what happened?"

"Oh dear Gods!" Faye wheezed for air, but this time she was laughing hard, "Your face!" Her laughing increased as she saw the disapproving look from Irwin.

"It was an act?!" Irwin asked as he saw mirth in his wife's eyes.
"Oh don't be angry so!" Faye exclaimed after her laughter started to subside, "it was the only way to wake you up, although I have to say..." she gave a pause to catch her breath, "I did hesitate when I saw you sleeping so peacefully, but then I heard you snore." The pregnant woman finished off with her eyes nearly shutting with how wide she was grinning.

"Faye dearest you nearly stopped my heart and here you say my snoring annoyed you!" Irwin scoffed. "I do not snore!"

"Oh sure you don't," Faye gave her husband an indifferent look, "I suppose it's a song-perhaps in a language of a creature from a different land and is drowning?"
Her husband only blinked once... Then twice... All he could do was look at her like she was the foreign creature.

"Anyways," she started with a huff again as she wiped the tight smile from her lips, "I have been trying to wake you up since the moment I woke up myself and I need you up for a very valid reason!"

"Which is...” he trailed waiting for her to answer.

She muttered incoherent words under her breath as she lowered her head.

Irwin raised an eyebrow as Faye looked at him through her lashes and glared at him hard. She rubbed her hands over her tummy where her child resided and sighed with annoyance as she tried to form the words again but finally, she snapped.
"I'M HUNGRY!"

Those words left Irwin bewildered and he went to fetch breakfast in a monotonous movement, but when he came back with their food, he couldn’t help but burst out laughing bringing the jolly atmosphere back.
Breakfast went by after that with Faye eating for two, or more, and Irwin mostly watching her with contentment and joy as he felt the warmth flood through his veins at the sight of his pregnant wife. But soon, serious matters had to break through the mood of happiness to solve their problems, mostly his, once and for all.
Faye started as she swallowed the last bit of bread she was chewing. "Honey... I think it's time to-"

"Meet my father," Irwin cleared his throat, “I know."

"Well...?" Faye questioned, wanting him to tell her what he planned to do.

"And I shall go in a while," he answered, "Alone.

It took her some time to register what he was saying and when it clicked her protests started, "no, I'll go with you!" She gasped.

Irwin left his seat and came closer to his wife as she stood up too. He cradled her face in his hands and lowered his head a notch until his eyes were on level with hers and with a tone not above a whisper he said, "there are battles I have to fight on my own-"