Ch. 11 (PG-13, S): A Turning Point for Jocelyn and Matthew

Start from the beginning

Feeling the bed dip ever so slightly when Jocelyn returns to bed, Matthew stirs groggily awake.  Matthew smiles at Jocelyn lying next to him dozing, returning to sleep.  She looks so peaceful and serene--and she has become his calm center as his calming medicines have been reduced and he becomes more alert.  With it now being later afternoon, those medicines are completely flushed out of his body.  And despite the fog of sleepiness, Matthew feels that being together with Jocelyn is the only place he wants to be.   

As with Jocelyn, Matthew does not question their sleeping arrangements--he had carried her to the bed from the couch, so that their backs would not be stiff by napping awkwardly on the couch. And Matthew also feels a growing affection for Jocelyn that is undeniable as he gazes lovingly at her sleeping form. But first, he must attend to his other bodily needs and he heads to the bathroom. 

After he washes his hands, Matthew stops and holds them out in front of him, the water dripping off of his skin into the cool marble basin sitting like a bowl upon the granite counter top.  His hands have held so much that were dear to him--his wife on their wedding day and  his son when he was born are among Matthew’s most cherished memories. He curls his fingers downward as the the water falls away, before he towels the rest of his hands dry.  

Matthew has lost his two loves who were dearest to him--through the car accident two years ago that claimed his wife’s and son’s lives, and injured him physically, cognitively, and emotionally.  So even the simple act of touching another person has been something he has shied away from--perhaps his retreat from the world was an unconscious acknowledgement of his loss, or his subconscious viewed his isolation as a penance for him not being able to save his family that tragic night. 

Yet, with Jocelyn, her caring influence has slowly and gently guided him to connect with her in a profound way.  She makes him feel alive again when they laugh together, hold hands together, and when they kiss together--more than him merely existing as he had before he met her.  In Jocelyn, Matthew feels like he has someone for whom he matters to again--as she matters to him.

As Matthew slides back onto the bed, Jocelyn is not quite asleep again—she is just dozing.   Matthew turns onto his left side facing Jocelyn, and he clasps her right hand lying back against her pillow in his right hand as they lie facing each other, their faces only inches apart--their touching pillows creating a continuous cushion for them.  Feeling the bed dip considerably with Matthew joining her in bed again, Jocelyn sleepily opens her eyes and smiles caringly at Matthew. 

Matthew looks soulfully into Jocelyn’s eyes, trying to find a way to express what he wants to say to her.  So, he takes her hand that he is holding and lifts it to his lips and  kisses it.  Then he sincerely says in a hushed deep voice, tinged with longing. 

Matthew:  “Thank you, Jocelyn.”  Matthew laces his fingers with Jocelyn’s fingers as he lays her hand back down upon her pillow.

Jocelyn  smiles at Matthew and then she lifts his hand clasping hers to her lips and she kisses his hand and Jocelyn sleepily sighs.

Jocelyn:  “You’re welcome Matthew.  Thank you.”

Then seeing that the blanket throw shifted and is not completely covering Matthew, Jocelyn rearranges the blanket over his shoulders and her left hand rests there.  Then, Matthew moves his free left arm to slide under Jocelyn’s neck and she cuddles next to him as he puts his arms around her--the warmth from their bodies nestled into each other being ever so comfortable in the slightly chilly room.  Jocelyn is still half asleep, but enjoying this sweetly intimate little moment between she and Matthew.  Matthew’s arms enfold Jocelyn further in a sweet embrace—holding her back and her head lovingly. And then he leans his head down and kisses her fully and tenderly on her lips.