The Journey

🔵
Sunday 20th December 2019

"So what did you do again?"
"I sent her a letter."
"Saying...?"
"Mum, you don't need to know every little detail. Plus I already told you this."
"Uh fine just text me if she turns up, Hun."
"I will mum, jeez." We both giggle and my mum grabs my head, pulls me in and kisses my forehead.
"Don't stay up all night thinking about her or how she's gonna take it, love. Go to sleep and you'll hopefully see her tomorrow morning."

Hey Tess, I know It's been a while and I'm being slightly old fashioned by sending a letter but oh well, nothing wrong with old fashioned is there? Oh and I am so sorry if you can't read my handwriting,...I have that problem sometimes. Anyway, I am writing this to invite you to a once in a life time experience (even though I hope we do this some more after) WITH ME!!!!! To go forward with this please sign here on the dotted line.......................... Hehe no I'm joking. Just meet me outside your block at 5:30 in the morning of Monday 21st December with a bag packed for a weekend get away. DON'T BE LATE!

Lots of Love,
Penguin (Jack)

Monday 14th December 2019

"So what's this then?! A DATE?! IS MY BABY ABOUT TO GO ON A DATE?! A very long , overnight one might I add." You smirk and wink at me.
"NOOOOOO MUM. We are just really good friends and have been since the beginning of secondary. It was a trip that we had planned but sadly never got to do until now. That's if she accepts the invite anyway."
"Oh alright then. Why did you sign it off as penguin?"
"Because that was my....ummmm. Why are you asking me so many questions?! Do you even remember Tess?" You gave me a funny look and no answer.
"You have no clue who she is do you?" Your eyes widen and you start to slowly back away with a coffee in your hand.

Monday 21st December

I may not have slept...at all. All I could think about was spending a long road trip with you to a place we both love, wales. I had only been there for work but it weren't the lovely part of wales, but you, oh so lucky. Your mum owns a cabin in the middle of nowhere surrounded by cows, lakes, waterfalls. I asked your mum for the keys she thankfully said yes and promised not to say anything. She looked pretty concerned though. But now I just need to drive to your house and hopefully you'll be there waiting for me. Don't worry I'll bring tea and a blanket.

I'm just around the corner now but your street is like a bloody maze. I pull up to your block but you are not there. Maybe you're just a little late. Maybe you didn't get the letter or you just...
"5:37 you are late...penguin. It's very unlike you." I don't think I've moved so fast in my life. I jumped out the car and ran to you. I hugged you.
"Woah, I was not expecting that." You hugged me back. Your hugs are still the best. They are just so comfy. I look at you and smile.
"Right, lets get your stuff in the boot. How've you been?"
"I've been good, stressed but good. College is just a damn pain." I snigger.
"Tell me about it. Well don't worry, you've got a break now until college starts again so you'll be fine. Just think of this as a weekend to relax and have fun with your favourite person." I finish the sentence with a sarcastic tone and smirk at you. You smile back at me from the passenger seat. I close the boot and sit back behind the wheel.
"When did you get a new car? This one looks fancy and expensive, and not like a lady bug." You laugh.
"HEY! Don't laugh at my lady bug, that car is amazing and I still have it but it's outside the house. I managed to persuade my grandad to let me use his Jaguar F-type for this weekend. We just need to make sure that it there is not a scratch on it or he will murder me. OH AND! This car is also a convertible which means we can have the roof down while we drive." I wink and nod my head slowly.
"That sounds like an amazing idea, Jack! But, it is winter and if you take that roof off I will immediately freeze soooooo it's not the best idea."
"That is a very fair point which I hadn't thought of."
"Clearly." You smile as you said that.
"You miss my stupidity don't you?" You just stare at me.
"I'll take that as a yes then." We laugh. I've missed your laugh.
"Right, lets get going!" I take the car off its breaks, put it into gear and drive.