fifteen.

chapter fifteen. 

evelyn

"Alexander?" I asked in a whisper, scooting as close to him as my seatbelt would allow.

We were currently driving towards my old pack. Veronica and Ian, who I had yet to meet, were on foot(or paw, I should say), while Anthony was driving the three of us. Even in the car, both of our little groups had the same ETA. Originally, the plan was for everyone to go on foot, but when I explained the condition of my mother more to Anthony and Alexander, they decided that a car would be a necessity.

Alexander turned from where he was gazing out the window to look at me. "Yes?"

"What is 'scenting'?"

Anthony gagged theatrically from the driver's seat. "I do not want to deal with these pheromones right now," he grumbled.

Alexander rolled his eyes at his brother but gave me a tender smile. "It is an additional way to mark the person you are choosing as yours."

I lowered my voice even more, hoping that only he would hear my next question so Anthony wouldn't ridicule me for it. "That doesn't mean you'll... pee on me, does it?"

The King shifted back to gape down at me just as Anthony burst into a fit of laughter. I pouted and glared at him, but my face was filling with heat. "It's not funny," I muttered.

"Gorgeous, where on earth did you come up with that?" Alexander tested, his lips having to press into a firm line to keep himself from laughing too.

"I... I don't know!" I gushed. "Animals mark their territory by peeing on things!"

Anthony was still in hysterics and now Alexander was openly snickering. I glared daggers at them in hopes they would take it as a sign to stop embarrassing me, but when it continued I unbuckled my seatbelt and moved to the seat against the other door, so there would be space between Alexander and I.

Buckling myself back in, I turned my pursed bottom lip out the window and crossed my arms indignantly. Alexander reached to touch my shoulder comfortingly, but I shook him away. "I'm sorry, gorgeous. Okay? I didn't mean to laugh. You simply caught me off guard."

"I don't forgive you," I said bitterly. God, now I felt stupid. It was such a dumb question. Why did I have to be so dumb and why did everything in this pack have to be so different?

Alexander, ignoring how I previously shook him off, pressed on the buckle of my seatbelt to release it and dragged me back towards him before I could successfully fight him off. "Come here, my little wolf," he growled playfully as he pinned me to his lap. "I am sorry for laughing. You are just too sweet. Allow me to explain." He adjusted my body so I was facing him, with my knees on either side of his waist. "Scenting does not involve any sort of body fluids. Simply put, it is me rubbing myself against you until my scent transfers onto your person and your scent on mine."

"Does that mean sex?" I quizzed, hiding my face under his chin so I couldn't see him be amused if it was a dumb question.

"No, it doesn't necessarily mean we will be having sex. Some couples have done it that way in the past, but I don't believe you will be ready at that point. What will happen is we will shift into our wolf forms and go either into a private room or the forest to scent each other. It can take hours to be complete."

I sighed, slightly annoyed at myself for already having forgiven him just by him holding me on his lap. But he was so warm and comforting, plus I could hear in his voice that he was sorry. "I still don't understand exactly what we have to do."