five.

And the drama begins. 

*edit* I just wanted to clarify that in this werewolf universe, there are not "True Mates" or like "soul mates".  Here, a Shifter chooses a mate. So Evelyn is not his soulmate necessarily. But she can choose the King as her mate for life just as he could choose her. Hopefully that clears up some of the confusion I am seeing in the comments. 

five

evelyn.

I strapped on a pair of running shoes after Ma helped me dress in workout gear; long, tight, and grey pants with a simple white muscle tee and the black sports bra. Then she adjusted my hair up into a neat bun so it wouldn't fall and hit my face while running.

"How far are we running again? Half a mile?" I quizzed innocently when Alexander met me at the forest's edge.

"Six. If you finish each mile in under thirteen minutes, I will let you have a fifteen minute break between each. If you don't finish in under thirteen, we will add a mile onto our next run each time," he explained.

My jaw dropped. "B-but-"

"I will extend the run if you keep arguing about distance," he claimed, raising a brow at me.

"N-no, no. I wasn't going to say anything about that. Nope." He smirked, obviously not believing me. "I was going to ask why you aren't in workout stuff."

"I don't need clothes this time."

My eyes widened after a moment, when I realized what that meant, and I began to wag my head. "Oh no, please, Alexander. Don't."

"If I were you, I'd start running. My wolf loves a fair chase." He started to peel off his clothes yet I was still stuck in place.

I grasped his arm to keep him from dropping his jeans. "Please, Alexander. I can't hardly move when I see him, let alone run a twelve minute mile!" I cried.

"You'll just have to get used to him then," he claimed, kissing my head once before shaking his arm from my grip. "You better run, pup."

So I settled into a jog in the direction Alexander pointed me in earlier. They always said to start out slower so you can run longer, so that was my ultimate plan.

Until I felt hot breath on the back of my neck and a wet tongue draw up the side of my face.

I stumbled over my feet, lifting my arms to block the wolf's attack. He licked me again, this time his muzzle bumping me with so much force that I fell right over.

"Alexander!" I gasped as the wolf began to brush himself up against me repeatedly and taking my scent.

You're down a minute and a half, pup, Alexander reminded me in my head, a smile evident in his tone.

"This doesn't count! Your dog is attacking me!" I snapped.

The wolf growled, nipping at my legs as I clambered to my feet again. He didn't like being called a dog, Alexander informed me.

I looked back at the animal who was now standing tall over me, his tail and ears held high, presenting his dominance. With a heavy, slightly shaky sigh, I turned back around and started to run again.

This was going to be a long night.

I collapsed onto the grass just on the palace grounds, whimpering miserably. Alexander's wolf trotted up next to me, as if we had only just gone for a walk around the building, instead of having gone over six miles.