Part 16: Black Sheep

Start from the beginning

"What's the matter with you? Don't you be so selfish." Lori says. My eyes go wide, don't say that when he's got a knife! Damn!

"Selfish? Listen to me, Olive Oyl. I was out there looking for that little girl every single day. I took a bullet and an arrow in the process. Don't you tell me about me getting my hands dirty! You want those two idiots? Have a nice ride. I'm done looking for people." Daryl snaps, angry. He makes a point. I think to myself.

Lori stared at him with wide eyes, as he sat back down. Then she scoffs and walks away. I walk over to Daryl.

"Hey." I say, making him look to me.

"What'd ya want?" He asks, I'm guessing still angry from Lori.

"Nothing, just wanna talk, if you want to that is. Lori seemed to have pissed you off." I say he looks at me, raising his eyebrows.

"Did I just hear the farmers daughter cuss?. Religious farmer at that." He teases. I roll my eyes.

"Ya caught me. Don't tell my daddy though. I'd never hear the end of it. He don't even let Maggie cuss. She's 22." I say. (Don't really know how old Maggie actually is, I just made it up.)

"Our little secret then I guess." Daryl says. I smile and nod sitting beside him.

Daryl and I had gotten close I guess you could say, over the time he's been here. He's kind of like a brother to me maybe. We don't talk all the time, but he's the type of guy who you can trust to have your back, be reliable, and protect his family no matter what, even though he can be a jerk sometimes. I like that about him.

And he's sweet and kinda funny, once you get passed his tough exterior. We're both black sheep, I guess you could say. Him to his group, and me to my family.

"So, why you eavesdropping on me an Lori." He asks, going back to making his arrow. I look over at him.

"What you mean?" I ask back, playing dumb.

"Oh, don't play stupid. I knew ya were there. Walkin' real slow." He says, shaking his head.

"Well, nothing gets past you, huh? Mr. Observant." I tease, he looks at me and chuckles, to my surprise. I smile. "Oh my goodness I made the tough and serious guy laugh!" I say giggling, he shakes his head, and lightly punches my shoulder, laughing some more.

"Shut up." He says.

We're silent for a minute.

"Daryl." I say.

"Hm?" He hums in response.

"I'm worried about Beth."

He stops what he's doing to look at me. Then says,

"Why? She is gonna be fine."

"Well, what if she isn't? What if somethin' happens and Rick, Glenn and daddy don't come back? What then."

"They'll come back. Stop being so negative, yer supposed to be the positive one here." He says, I giggle. "Don' worry 'bout it." He says, I nod. "How 'bout ya go check on her."

I nod and stand up. Before I go I turn around. I walk over to Daryl, and hug him, surprising him, I could tell by the way he tensed up. He looks at me, without hugging back.

"Thanks Daryl." I say. Pulling away.

"Fer what?" He asks.

"I don't know, talking I guess. Your a nice guy." I say then walk away towards the house. To check on Beth.

Couple hours later

I'm sitting at the table, with Carl sitting beside me.

"They should've been back by now." Carol says.

    "Yeah. They just got holed up somewhere." Shane reassures. I turn looking to Carl. He looked worried.

    "What's wrong Carl." I ask him, putting a hand on his shoulder?

   "I'm fine. I'm just worried about my dad." He whispers back. I nod, and Shane looks at us.

    "Carl, don't worry. Your dad and mine are tough, they'll come back." I tried to reassure him.

    "Carl, she's right, I want you to keep your head up, okay? Your old man, he's the toughest son of a..." he starts to say, but is cutoff by Patricia.

    "No cussing in the house." She says reaching around me to set down a plate of food for me and Carl; made by her and Carol.

    "Sorry." Shane apologizes.

    Carol walks over to the door, and calls for Lori to come down for dinner.

    "She's not in there." Maggie says.

    "Where is she?" Dale asks. It goes silent, everyone looks at each other.

    "Carl, when's the last time you saw your mom?" Shane asks him.

    "This afternoon." Carl answered the question, just as confused as everyone else.

    "She was worried about Rick, asked me to look in on Carl." Andrea told everyone.

    "She went after them?" T-dog asks.

    "No one said that." Andrea says.

    I then turn my full attention to my hands in my lap, remembering the conversation I heard Lori have with Daryl earlier in the day. She definitely went after them. I just don't want involved, it's not my place. Unfortunately Maggie caught my actions.

     "Mack? What do you know?" She asks, suspicion in her voice. Everyone then looks to me, making my cheeks go red with embarrassment. I shrug my shoulders.

    "You know something, spill it." Andrea presses.

    "It's not my place to say." I say, playing with a stray string on my pants.

    "Mackenzie, Lori could be in trouble, she could be hurt or worse. If there's something you know that could help us find her you have to let us know." Shane tells me. I huff then look up.

    "She was talking to Daryl earlier, asked him to go look for them. He said no, and she walked off." I explain. They all nod.

     "Nobody needs to worry, we'll find her." Shane says.

    Shane gets up and leaves to go look for Lori. We all eat, trying not to worry about the people that are missing, but that's impossible.

Hope you enjoyed chapter 16. If you did please vote, and comment; I want your feedback. Thanks for reading❤️just to be clear Daryl is like a brother to Mackenzie.

He will probably become like a 2nd father to her after Hershel dies; how would y'all feel about that?

(Chapter ? 👇)
Do you think Lori was a good or bad character, and why?