As soon as the hallway was relatively deserted, I retrieved the jacket from my locker and headed for the back exit, deciding it was better to be safe than sorry.

When I was finally a couple feet away from the exit however, I heard voices approaching from inside the gym. With lightning speed, I hid behind a wall and pressed my back flat against the concrete.

The gym doors swung open and I could hear them stop at the water fountain near where I was.

"You losers wouldn't believe what I heard from Raph, he told me that someone on the team is secretly seeing Liana." A guy said.

I perked up at my name, immediately leaning forward to listen. I wasn't one to eavesdrop but I wasn't going to let a conversation that was clearly involving me pass by.

"You mean Harrington? The one who transferred here this year?" Another guy asked.

"That one." The first guy confirmed.

"How did he know?" A third voice piped up.

"He saw her with his VJ and we all know that's basically guy code for 'stay away from my girl'."

At this point, I was tempted to call these guys out for their ignorance but refrained myself.

"Any idea who it might be?"

"Derek? Or maybe Harry? Who do you think it is Capt?"

"I think it's time to start practice." Jordan stated in an authoritative tone that left no room for discussion.

The guys grumbled but obeyed him nonetheless, their footsteps fading away until they were out of the building.

When I could no longer hear any noises, I stepped out of my hiding spot expecting to see a cleared coast. Instead, I made eye contact with Jordan who was crouched on the floor tying his shoelaces.

I didn't know what went over me or where I had gotten the sudden burst of courage as I walked towards him, ready for some sort of direct confrontation.

"Why did you not deny it?" I demanded.

He ignored me and carried on tying up his laces, after he was done, he slowly stood up. "Deny what exactly?"

"What they said. You know it's not true."

"Do I?" He replied, pretending to not know what I was talking about.

This was obviously going nowhere and I chastised myself for even assuming he would cooperate.

I sighed loudly, "Forget it, I'll just leave."

"Just so you're aware, you owe me a favour." Jordan said.

"And now he's talking." I muttered.

"I'll let you know soon what you can do for me."

Resisting the urge to snap back at him, I resorted to giving him a cold glare in return. "I never asked for your help."

"And I never asked for your opinion."  He retorted, regarding me with a blank expression.

"Why should I do as you say if you're not going to clear up those rumours?" My voice was several octaves higher as I struggled to keep my cool, he could probably tell I was getting rather worked up.

"Why are you so bothered by it?" He inquired, tucking one hand into the pocket of his athletic shorts.

"Because it isn't true." I said matter-of-factly.

"And what's the point in correcting people? They only believe what they want to believe."

For once, Jordan Chandler actually said something that made sense, even though I desperately did not want to admit that.

It did help put things into perspective, allowing me to see that in my attempt to set things straight, I was doing quite the opposite.

Taking my silence as a cue for continuing, "Shouldn't you feel honoured? Any girl in your place certainly would."

This time, I couldn't hold back the bitter scoff. "Hate to break it to you, not every girl is as delirious as the majority are."

He said nothing back, just tilted his head to the side a little, almost like one would when analysing an artifact in a museum. His gaze travelled from the jacket I held in my hand to my face, still not saying a word.

A few lingering moments of silence passed before I decided to hightail out of the place.

It might be my imagination albeit I was almost positive that as I strutted past Jordan, I could hear an intake of breath, as if he just took a whiff of the scent of shampoo from my hair.

That night, both mother and father were home in time for dinner, which in itself was a rare occasion.

"Grandpa may be spending christmas with us this year sweetie." Mother notified me.

We were currently dining at one of father's favourite sky restaurant in the city, it had an amazing view that nearly overlooked New York.

I finished chewing the salmon before responding, "That's nice to hear, how long would he be here for?"

Father took a sip of his wine, "Longer than usual, a few weeks at the least. He needs to check out the new branch we have here and deal with some business issues."

I nodded in acknowledgment, what my family did for a living didn't interest me in the slightest, it was also difficult for me to make sense of their business talks.

Grandpa, much like my father, was a stubborn man. Additionally, his hardheaded nature and traditional mindset made him unpleasant to get along with at times. Apart from that, he was just like any other normal grandparent who often spoiled me with gifts and pocket money.

A vibration shifted my attention to my phone laying beside my cup of lemonade, it was a message from an unknown number.

With mother and father engrossed in a conversation of their own, I took a peek at the text from the unrecognisable number.

It was unusual for me to receive any messages, if at all, from my limited social circle, much less from an unsaved contact.

This Saturday, be ready at 7pm.
sent at 6:56pm

3 guesses who it might be;) comment below!!

FIRSTLY, I want to apologise for the (almost) month long absence>< I had been busy moving into a new apartment and then spent time catching up with my friends:(

I AM SO SO SORRY for not updating😔 I hope you guys can still find it in your massive heart to stick with the story & support me : )

Let me know your thoughts on this chappie as usual (sorry if it feels like a filler chappie) & comment on what you would like to see next!!

COMMENT, VOTE & FOLLOW TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT<33

xoxo
xuan