The Tunnel - A True Murder Horror Story

We were brought over to explore the outskirts of the frontier for our science project with the intention to study the different kinds of rocks around the area. Me and my friend, Rashid, had no interest in this, but had come along to learn about the Bloodsucker.

This was a creature that had been famed for seemingly luring unsuspecting victims; its name was derived from the fact that bodies were never found, the traces of blood were the only things ever recovered.

Rashid and I weren't stupid; we didn't plan on going in the lair. All we wanted was to take a few pictures outside the tunnel where the Bloodsucker's last victim was rumored to have disappeared and return to our group.

While our teacher Mrs. Moores was rounding the students around with one of her usual "Here, Kids!" voice, Rashid and I slipped down the slope that led to the tunnel entrance.

The walls around the opening were covered with markings left by previous visitors, some parts featuring curse words, some areas having the names of lovers, right above the tunnel was a warning.

This was perfect, and we took turns in snapping a shot with the warning words above us. We could hear our teacher's voice a fair distance away, having decided to go back once her voice couldn't be heard anymore.

"Here, kids!" Her voice, like a recording of a children's television host could be heard faintly on frequent occasions, and the two of us screeched with laughter every time it reached our ears.

By the sounds of it, it seemed like our teacher was set on using her catchphrase all night, so we were in no hurry to go back. However, Rashid stopped laughing.

His face contorted with confusion, a kind of look that didn't convey simple perplexity; he seemed alarmed over something

Rashid brought a finger to his lips, then pointed somewhere behind me to listen closely. As my sniggers faded, I too heard what he wanted me to.

"Here, kids!"

Mrs. Moores' voice, as before, arrived to our ears, but this time we didn't find it funny - she was calling to us from inside the tunnel.

"Here, kids!"

Neither Rashid nor I made a move, but our teacher repeatedly called out for us. Looking back from where we'd come, there were no more sounds of anybody else either. It had to mean that Mrs. Moores was in there.

"Here, kids!"

Part of me wanted to tear out of there, but the other part was rooted to the spot. Rashid slowly moved away from the entrance and climbed the rise toward where we'd come from.

He came back the next moment, not needing to say what he'd seen. Absolutely nothing.

In our recklessness, the two of us had failed to take note of the fact that the grounds were covered in total darkness. The only illumination was the crackling tubelight above the tunnel entrance. There was nowhere we could go other than follow Mrs. Moores' voice.