Chapter 16

Their next day started at ten am in Norfolk, Nebraska, and ended just outside Longmont, Colorado when Castiel spotted the low-hanging, gray clouds. He'd grown excited and begged Dean to pull over then and there, something Dean had promised to do when it started. Castiel had leaned over and kissed Dean enthusiastically before hurriedly getting out of the car. 

Dean wasn't far behind. He leaned against the trunk of the car and watched Castiel smile up at the sky as if he was looking straight through to God. A smile spread on his own lips. The winds started to pick up, signaling the forthcoming storm, whipping Castiel's dark hair around and messing it up more. Dean moved to stand beside Castiel, hand curling in his, fingers lacing with slender, soft ones. Despite the pounding in his head, Dean was enjoying this moment.  

Castiel looked over at him, blue eyes crinkled at the edges in a smile and sparkling like the ocean. Dean felt something swell in his chest.  

It was a feeling he'd had before, but had repercussions when he had acted upon it. His hand tightened on Castiel's as Cas looked back to the sky and closed his eyes. Dean watched the man beside him let out a breath and relax as his red sweatshirt flew out around him, his dark brown hair flipping in the wind. A raindrop hit Dean's nose and he looked up at the sky as well, closing his own eyes. He wanted to experience this the way Castiel was. The peace, the freedom, the beauty of it, he wanted to experience it all.  

Before he knew it, it was pouring on them. They were becoming soaked to the bone, but neither of them could force themselves to move. Both men started laughing, eyes opening to a flash of lightning in the distance. The following thunder shook them both and stayed resonating in Dean's heart, in the swell of feeling in his chest.  

Another flash, closer to them, made Dean laugh and curse, tugging on Castiel's hand. "Come on, come on! No way I'm letting you get hit by lightning, you idiot!" Dean laughed and tugged Castiel closer to the car, finally reaching the door and tugging it open. He stopped Castiel from getting in the backseat, smiling slightly at him. "I almost forgot that we need towels before anything."  

Castiel laughed and nudged Dean gently. "Get them, Dean. I'm freezing." 

Dean laughed again and popped the trunk, reaching in and searching for the towels for a second before pulling them out. He slammed the lid and hurried back to Castiel's side, throwing them in the dry backseat and grabbing Castiel's soaked sweatshirt to pull him into a deep kiss. Cliché, kissing in the rain, but Dean felt like it was needed.  

After all, the moment was perfect. Castiel's hands lifted to Dean's cheeks as they tore at each other's lips slowly, rain water falling from their flattened hair into the kiss. Dean's hands let go of Castiel's sweatshirt and flattened against his chest as he forgot how to breathe.  

The shock of thunder still bounced back and forth in his chest when he tugged himself away, nose brushing against Castiel's, foreheads pressed together. His lips stayed parted as he sucked in breath after breath, ecstatic to find Castiel doing the same when his eyes finally opened. Castiel's eyes opened not long afterward, a slow movement, and Dean smiled.  

"I love you." 

*** 

Without a pause, Castiel whispered back to Dean. "I love you too." 

Dean's smile grew to impossible size as he grabbed Castiel's thighs and kissed him again, lifting him slightly. Castiel felt himself laugh into the kiss and jumped so that Dean could lift him easier, his legs wrapping around Dean's waist as he deepened it further, until he could barely breathe.  

*** 

The next day found them in a motel, unwilling to leave Colorado. They both rested, wrapped around each other, in the bed, listening to the sound of the rain hitting the roof of the building.  

As they laid there in silence, Castiel watched Dean watch him, smiling for the sake of smiling.  

Eventually, their stomachs broke the silent bliss, making them both laugh. "Food?" Dean asked, voice hushed, like he was afraid it would break the moment. Castiel only nodded, afraid of the same thing. "Let me guess, you're going to make me go get it." Castiel nodded again. Dean laughed and kissed him lightly. "I'll get whatever is closest. I don't want to leave you alone here for long." 

Castiel kissed him back happily and thoroughly, whispering against his lips. "That sounds perfect." 

"It better, cause it's what you're getting." Dean laughed and slowly rolled out of bed, standing to put on his clothes that had been discarded to the floor last night. Once he was fully dressed, he leaned down over Castiel and kissed him one more time. "I'll be back, babe. Stay here."