36

6th of March 2016

'Annabelle can I talk to you?' Coach Russell asked after our competition. I had done fairly well, placing top three in all of my events, and winning my hurdles events, which was becoming a regular occurrence.

'Sure coach, what's up?' I asked as I slid off my sneakers, the change room empty aside from the two of us.

'Did you know that Yale are interested in offering you a full athletics scholarship?' he asked and I shook my head. 'One of the scouts was here today, apparently they have been watching you for some time.'

'Oh,' is all that I said. I knew that my heart was set on Cambridge but a full athletics scholarship to Yale would be amazing, not that I needed a scholarship but it would still be incredible nonetheless.

'They want to have an interview with you after our final meet in a month, is that okay with you?' Coach Russell asked and I just nodded, suddenly feeling guilty for saying yes, due to already committing to Cambridge pretty much and also living with Luke next year.

'Yeah that sounds good,' I said simply as I slipped on my black Nike slides, my choice of shoe after every single athletics competition.

I headed back to my room, contemplating how I was supposed to tell Luke that Yale was interested in having me on a full scholarship. Do not get me wrong, I am incredibly greatful that Yale have even shown a slight interest me, but I think deep down I was set on going to Cambridge and being with Luke.

The thought was pushed out of my mind when I realised that I only had an hour to get ready for Cara's eighteenth which she was having in Nomain tonight.

I found the paisley printed Dior dress in my wardrobe that I bought last week, matching it with my platform Doc Martens, which were starting to become very worn. My hair was a wavy mess, and my makeup was super simple but I was honestly not in the mood to go all out tonight.

'Hey! I was just coming to get you,' Luke said as I walked out of my bedroom and into the hallway, finding my boyfriend with a beaming smile on his face.

'Hey,' I said swiftly kissing his lips, the feeling it gave me still giving me butterflies after all this time.

'How are you my girl?'

My girl.

'I'm good, how are you?' I asked as we walked to the elevator, my right hand linked with Luke's whilst my left hand was carefully carrying Cara's present from Chanel.

'Ready to get blind drunk, I hope you're ready to do the same?' Luke questioned as I just let out a laugh. If there was one thing you could count on, it was that Luke knew how to have a good time.

Luke was possibly my favourite person to party with because he was always up to get very drunk and you could always count on him to say or do something incredibly stupid to liven up the party.

'Of course, you know me,' I said as we stepped into the elevator, still holding hands as we began to debrief about the athletics competition from earlier in the day.

I so desperately wanted to tell Luke about Yale being interested in me but I just could not bring myself to do it, which made me feel extremely guilty.