"Hello there," I said.

When it was close enough, I realized what had been bothering me about the animal. While most werewolves I've met had pitch-black eyes when in wolf form, this one had shining silver orbs. Something I had never encountered before.

With a soft smile stretching my lips, I removed my hand of the portal stone and reached toward the wolf. I had always wanted to know how soft a werewolf's fur was, but I had never had the chance. Until now.

The tips of my fingers were only an inch away from its head when the wolf suddenly pulled back. A low growl emitted from its throat before it spun around and sprinted away.

I was left staring at the empty forest, feeling a slight pang in my chest. So close. Only an inch further and I could have solved the mystery of how a werewolf's fur felt against one's fingers.

With slumped shoulders I retracted my arm, just as another sound of crushed leaves flooded my ears. This time, however, it was a person walking on two legs. And not just anyone, but the Alpha King himself.

As I laid my eyes on his approaching figure, I remembered where I had heard of the silver eyes before. Rumor had it that the Alpha King had silver eyes while in his wolf form. This would mean that the wolf I had just encountered had been his wolf counterpart.

My guess was further confirmed by his pitch-black hair. It was universally known that a werewolf's fur in his wolf form was the same color as his hair in human shape.

The Alpha King stopped a couple of steps away from me, forcing me to tilt my head back to be able to look into his eyes. Yet again his piercing eyes were drilling into mine, making me grow more and more uncomfortable.

I was growing sick of not knowing whether he knew the truth about me or not. "I'm not in the mood for your uncomfortable staring, so can you leave?"

Instead of being offended by my surly tone, the corners of his mouth twitched into a lopsided smile. "What are you doing in my forest?"

"Don't worry." I scoffed at the possessive phrase. "I didn't harm any of your precious trees."

Again I expected to see a flare of his infamous temper, well-known even among my species. And again, he took me by surprise as he took a step closer and leaned against the tree closes to my rock.

"I'm a dangerous man to cross. Many would sooner chew their own tongue off before speaking to me in the way you just did."

"I'm not afraid of you." While I knew the statement wasn't a hundred percent true, I couldn't let him know that. "The worst you can do is kick me out of your castle."

"Are you sure?" He tilted his head to the side, reminding me a little of the wolf from before. "I'll ask again, why are you out here?"

"I came here for a walk," I said through gritted teeth.

"Doesn't look like it." His eyes trailed down from my face to the rock I was still sitting on.

The leisurely pace with which he took in my entire body had an unexpected heat tingling the surface of my skin. The strange sensation had me jump off the rock and march into the direction of the castle.

What the heck was going on with me?

Because he was a werewolf, he had no problem keeping up with me. Within less than four strides he matched his pace to mine, coming side to side with me.

I kept telling myself to just ignore him, however, another part of me wanted to use this opportunity to satisfy my curiosity. "What's your name?"

"Why do you want to know my name?"