Within Temptation

Start from the beginning

"Here, please drink. It's important to stay hydrated." I offered.

He stared at me for a few seconds, then burst into a laughter.

That confused me but I kept my arm outstretched, demanding silently he drank the water. I definitely didn't want to deal with someone collapsing because they want to stay fashionable and it's not cool to carry a pet bottle around.

"Professor Shen Wei, right?" he finally stopped laughing and took the bottle from my hands.

"Yes, as I introduced myself in the beginning." I guess, the tone was unnecessary but I was getting slightly annoyed.

He smirked and drank maybe half of the remaining water before handing it back to me with a wink. "Indirect kiss."

I sighed. What nonsense. I shouldn't have cared.

The rest of the tour went on smoothly, I ignored the rude staring of the strange ungrateful man and giggling of the four young women. When the tour ended, I received payment from almost all the participators. Except him. As he just casually walked away.

Normally, I wouldn't have minded. It tends to anger oneself but I do this mostly as a hobby and a chance to speak to people from my homeland, so I do not get annoyed at such trivialities. However, this time I have felt I did deserve some explanation as to why I am being so rudely unappreciated by a complete stranger to whom I had shown kindness.

I kept sighing even as I waited under Kyoto tower the next day. When again he showed up. He didn't say hi or anything. Only grinned at me, standing amongst the other tourists.

"I'm not surprised you had to come a second time," I started talking to him when again others went to look at a temple.

"Hmm, how is that?" He snuck to stand under my umbrella, searching in his pockets until he found a lollipop, then he proceeded to put it into his mouth, sucking on it thoroughly.

I rolled my eyes at such a childish action. "Yesterday, you weren't listening to me at all, were you?"

"Oh, dear, Professor," he stated, "I listen to EVERY word you say. Such a good student I am! Just please, don't ask me anything..."

I felt my lips slightly curve upwards but I quickly masked it by fixing my glasses. Not sure, what I am supposed to feel about this man. It was apparent, he was in some way interested in me but what did he want from me was still a question. Maybe he was just killing time here and he liked teasing others and I just happened to be there.

When I was receiving my tips at the end of the tour, he walked over to me as the last one, taking out of his pants a credit card. "I don't have cash..." He commented with a smirk.

I put on a bussiness smile, showing him towards the nearest 7eleven. "You can withdraw money right over there."

"Ouch, professor! So passive agressive!" he exclaimed with a laugh. "I have a better idea! Let me pay you back..."

* * *

So here I am, trying to digest the food while feeling his gaze penetrate my body. I don't think we've shared a single word during this strange afternoon meal. Not like I would be able to find any words, though I had questions running through my head but instead of asking them, I just kept stuffing my mouth with the food I didn't even enjoy.

As I've slowly sliced single pieces off my steak, I started to dread the thought of finishing. Because then I will have to look up and meet his eyes, those obsidian orbs that didn't leave me for a second this whole time. What will happen if I look into them? A foolish thought that actually managed to arise a paranoic fear inside myself. I felt my hands slightly quiver but I tried not to show anything, sitting straight as if my mind wasn't a complete chaos. My heart kept racing and I felt my chest tighten.

"Is it not to your liking?" he spoke suddenly and in my hightened state I've done that one mistake. I looked up.

"N-no... it's delicious," I stuttered, staring back at him. Did I notice it before? The sad, yet yearning gaze, fixed on me, searching for every single movement, trying to decipher my body language, my mood, my thoughts.

He smiled. Maybe he trusted that foolish lie that came out of my mouth.

Why was I intrigued by such an uncultured man?

"By the way, I haven't introduced myself, yet," he leaned over the table, holding out his right hand. "I'm Zhao Yunlan."

* * *

* * *

Ok, I guess, this will be more romantic but still with action? I hope? That's the... not-plan this time. XD You know, I start writting as soon as an idea flashes inside my head so again, there's no idea where this might actually go...

I tried to write from first person view... I have to say, it feels super weird to write from Shen Wei's side. So unnatural, is it the same when you read it? I think it's the thought that I can't imagine him actually storytelling this. >.<

Anyway, I think never did read a fanfic that would be first person from Shen Wei's perspective? Is there even one from Zhao Yunlan's?

I think I might go back to 3rd person, let me know what you guys think sincerly. X3