76. unexpected tears

Haven

"Alright, guys. I'll see you tomorrow. Don't forget to revise the pages we have discussed today, because there will be questions about it next philosophy hour. You're dismissed." William spoke, stretching his arms as he walked back over to his desk.

Packing my own backpack, I waited until all of my peers had left the class, my stomach feeling nauseous for several reasons. Zephaniah hadn't been here today either, and it had almost been two weeks since we had been to Amsterdam.

The worst scenarios came up into my mind last night, suddenly remembering that his father had told me about sudden death in Epilepsy. It wouldn't have happened, would it? People must have said anything about it if it did.. Was he tired still? Did something else happen at home?

I was worried sick and I was losing my mind. I wanted to text him so bad, but I couldn't do it because of the space and time I had, still, promised him. It had truly killed me, I missed him so awfully much, but I felt like I had no choice.

William brought me out of my thoughts, his voice loud. "Aren't you leaving, Haven?"

"Uhm," I hesitated, walking over to his desk. "Have you, by any chance, heard anything about Zephaniah? He's not been here for almost two weeks.. I'm worried about him."

William's eyes flickered towards his screen, the list of student names and their presence and absences noted. "It's not my place to tell, Haven. He just needed a time out, there have been things going on at his home. All I can say."

"Okay." I frowned a little, my eyes lingering on his face.

William sighed a little and shoved a white envelope towards me, his eyes giving me reassurance to take it. Opening the envelope, I took out a simple but beautiful birth card, the name Jedidjah written onto it. The words into the card were simple as well, a Bible quote on the right side, his parents name and his own name on the left side.

"He became a brother." I smiled by myself, remembering how he had opened up about his feelings back at the lake. He hadn't been sure if he liked it- was afraid that his parents would love this child more because it was both their flesh and blood.

My smile faltered, remembering the letter he wrote me in Amsterdam. He had sounded so desperate, wanting everything to stop because he would burst soon. Would this have been too much for him? Especially since the trip hadn't been too long ago?

I felt sick, I hoped Cooper would give him enough comfort because I wanted to give him so much- but couldn't.

William went back to typing onto his computer, I placed the card back into the envelope, swinging my backpack over my shoulder. "See you tomorrow, Professor."

"See you, Haven."

Leaving the classroom, I let out a shaky breath, the uneasiness suddenly growing stronger. I missed Zephaniah, I wanted to be there for him, especially now. I loved him, I was sure of that.

Playing with the strap of my bag, my eyes flickered through the hallways, landing onto Luke and Tara. I needed to ask her, needed to calm my heart in order to get the uneasy feeling away because I couldn't comfort him, I couldn't. He needed the space.

"Tara!" I yelled, apologising to the guy next to me, who stuffed his finger into his ear and glared at me. "Ittarah!" I repeated, watching how she rolled her eyes at me and turned around, clearly not wanting to talk to me.

Jogging over to them, I simply ignored Luke, grabbing Tara's wrist. "Tara, please. Can we talk?"

"What is it, Haven." She answered, her eyes finding mine after a minute or so.