Chapter 6 - Divine Intervention

Start from the beginning

If they knew I was chasing after their daughter in their own home after trusting me enough to let me stay here, I would be on the streets in two seconds. Guilt wracks through me, especially after the promise I made to Mr. Durant. It was more like the conditions of my stay, but at the time I easily accepted them not thinking much of it. But apparently Mr. Durant seems to know me better than I do myself.

I really need to get my shit together and forget about Sofia. I know I need to stop this thing, this idea of us that I have in my head, and not let it go any further. That was in the past and things are different now. I should be mad at her for Christ's sake, but I can't even bring myself to be that anymore. She's just so vulnerable all the time, and I find myself easily falling into the same pattern of wanting to protect her.

I realize I've been wallowing in my room for at least half an hour so I go to the bathroom to clean up a bit, deciding I need to look presentable for this dinner. I take off my jersey and shorts from practice and take a quick shower. I've just slipped on a pair of jeans when I hear a knock at my door.

Thinking it's Nico, I go to open it but instead find Sofia staring at my bare chest with wide eyes. I slowly raise an eyebrow at her as she hasn't said anything yet. She's never been remotely close to my room before, let alone knocked on my door, so I don't know what she's doing out here.

"Um. Dinner is ready," she tells me, her cheeks slightly flushed.

Oh, right. "Okay, thank you. I'll be right there."

She nods and quickly turns to leave. I almost stop her, wanting to talk to her a bit more, but I shake my head and go back to my closet to find a damn shirt. I really need to separate what I want to do with what I should do when it comes to her. Fuck. This dinner is already making a complete mess out of me.

I'm a nervous wreck by the time I reach the dining room. Mrs. Durant is all smiles and she indicates for me to sit next to Sofia at the table. Is she crazy? I look towards Mr. Durant in hesitation, who is sitting at the head of the table, but he doesn't seem to care as he's in a conversation with Nico. I go to sit next to her and try my best not to look at her. If I manage to ignore her for the remainder of the evening, I still might have a bed to sleep in by the end of the night.

"So Sofia, are the boys treating you okay now that you're back?" Mrs. Durant asks her.

I know it's an innocent question, but my palms immediately start to sweat. Even Mr. Durant stops talking to Nico to hear her answer and I feel him staring in my direction.

"Yeah," she says staring down at her empty plate.

I can't help but think that her answer is not true. Both of us haven't been exactly nice to her for the most part and I feel like the biggest asshole for not being more welcoming towards her when she first arrived.

She takes a sip of water and I notice she's as nervous as I am. "Nico helped me with my schedule and Adrian helped me with my calculus homework."

"That's wonderful, dear. Adrian, I didn't know you were a math whizz," Mrs. Durant smiles at me.

"Me neither," I reply and she laughs.

Carmen enters the room and sets a bunch of deliciously looking plates down on the table. She's made all of Sofia's favorites; filet mignon steaks covered in bacon, mashed potatoes au gratin, and a mozzarella and tomato salad. I swear the woman could be a five star chef at her own restaurant.

"Adrian, please start and serve yourself," Mrs. Durant tells me. "So what else has happened around here? Anything new?"

I know she's just trying to make conversation, but every single question seems more incriminating than the next. I pick up the mashed potatoes first and start filling my plate.