Chapter 13 - Brief History

“We’re from the clan of shadows. We hunt and live in the shadows. As you are already aware. We can infiltrate anywhere. As per your request once, even within the castle of Serdio. That of course having been caught by Sirius. He, like us are the same. We, those before us, served your kind. A guardian and key keeper like yourself. And together with a dragon at our side, we ruled our lands. All was peaceful it was told. Until creed and power ravaged our land. The army who should had protected their king, killed him instead. And we who were supposed to protect him, from all danger, we who were supposed to know every enemy before they became an enemy, failed to protect him.” said Hadi as the queen and dragon listened. 

“Viz was our dragon. She was our king’s dragon. She trained us in the art of concealment. Due to our failure, she left us to fend for ourselves. Being not much of fighters ourselves, it was a massacre. Our ancestors saw it beast to come here, where it all begun, for refuge. Your great, great grandfather feared us outsiders and raged war against us. Your commander at that time, from the clan of conquerors, saw us as game, for our abilities. It took your great grandfather to offer us lenience, and put an end to our extinction. Your young king at that time, cause a rift between his desires and his commander’s. With one wanting our survival, and the other our heads.” said Adasa. 

Hadi continued, “That’s when the kingdom become two. With plenty of unknown creatures in the land, the commander was busy enjoying himself. That is until there was nothing left to conquer.”

“That’s when war broke out.” said Adasa. 

“We won of course, because we were more in numbers. However a few of us after the war joined side with the commander in anger of what Viz had done to them once they found out of the existence of Alshbar.” said Hadi. 

“Alshbar?” questioned queen Erlen.

“Alshbar, the dragon before you.” said Adasa. 

“So you do have a name. I guess that should have been my first question to you, huh.” said Erlen. “What happened afterwords?” 

“To cut the history short. A second war broke out and Serdio still lost. This time, Alshbar helped. And as punishment, all who joined the commander were executed and blamed for his failure.” continued Hadi. 

“That can’t be right. You said Serdio, had one just like you. One from your clan. Surely one of them survived?” said Erlen. 

“That’s correct. A child survived and grew. Our ancestors before us, trained every descendant of that child. Just as we have trained Sirius. But Sirius, unlike his predecessor’s is faithful to his crown. And thus not an ally to us.” revealed Hadi. 

“Before you say a word your highness, yes we are dangerous. But you need not worry. Our ancestors failed in the past, we won’t do the same. We have eyes and ears everywhere. What happened to our first king will never be repeated in history. We swore our allegiance to your great grandfather and to the crown. As far as we’re concerned, you are the crown. Not the king.” said Adasa. 

“And Sirius?” asked Erlen. 

“Sirius is not an enemy, anymore that we’re his enemy. But if there is ever a need for collaboration, he will be one we can count on.” revealed Adasa. 

“Why was I not told of any of this? Why is there no mention of this in the kingdom’s records?” asked Erlen. 

“Your highness, the amount of people that have access to these records are too great to restrict. Thus why, we keep our own records. Away from prying eyes. And, unfortunately from you too, my queen.” said Hadi.

“Why? What have I ever done to you to keep this from me?” asked Erlen sobbing. 

“Nothing your highness.” said Adasa, quickly kneeling before her highness.