Chapter 11 - Newcomer, friend or foe?

Black sensed an uneasiness as he and the other lieutenants exited the tent. Was it because, they believed every word he’s told them? He wasn’t sure. But one thing that was certain, was the fact that, they didn’t treat him like people did his dad. After years of drowning out this gift of his, it felt foreign and new. Crazy he wasn’t, and he was glad his comrades thought no lesser of him.

“Let’s split up.” said John. “Smith, you and Black go to the general. He of the two will most likely be willing to listen and believe. Robert and I we’ll inform the king.” 

“Alright. I’d say it’ll be crucial at this stage, especially not knowing what will happen, to wake up camp. Let’s avoid a panic though. It’ll be best to be on guard. We don’t know what else may be coming or already here.” suggested Smith, as he raised his eyes toward the tree tops, referring to the one eye tree hoppers. 

“I agree. Best to be expecting a war than be surprised by one.” agreed Robert. 

“Guys, were wasting time. We need to move now.” interjected a cautious Black. 

With determination, they departed from each other to carry out their missions. On there way to Philip’s tent, Smith would, with every soldier he crossed path with, order them to wake camp and have them prepare for imminent danger. When they got to Philip’s tent, it was empty. Turning to the guard outside the general’s tent, Black questioned, “where’s the general?” 

“The general went to see his majesty, sir.” replied the guard. 

Looking at each other, Smith and Black double back and made haste to reach the king’s tent.   Getting halfway there, for Philip’s tent was on the other side of camp across from the king’s, they met with Robert and John. “Where’s the king?” asked Smith. 

“He wasn’t in his tent.” answered Robert. 

“Neither was the general.” informed Smith. 

By now, camp was getting lively and noisy again. Frustration could be seen on the faces of some for lack of sleep, others were just tired and ready to go home. 

“Has anybody seen the king and general?” yelled John as his own impatience started kicking in. 

“Lieutenants,” step forth a soldier, “I don’t know about the king, but the general took my sword and shield from my tent minutes ago.” 

“Where did he go?” pressed on John. 

“I saw him head toward the forest. More precisely in the direction of that creature we captured.” informed the soldier. 

Wasting no time to know more, they ran in after the general. They knew their general was not the foolish type. If he went in armed at this time of night, must mean he’s with the king. There was no time to waste. This was priority number one. 

Approaching the forest they heard someone yell these words, ‘listen to reason would you, we need to get him out of here.’ “Who could that be I wonder?” asked Smith as they came to a complete stop. 

“Let’s not wait to find out.” replied John. 

As they race to reach the king and Philip, as well as whomever else was there, none noticed Black fighting to keep up. He was profusely sweating. He seem like someone fighting death itself. But keeping up he did. Having made it three quarters of the way, they heard swords clashing. As well as someone soberly begging, “general stop! We have to leave immediately!”

No sooner that they heard these words, that they saw a guard zoom past them heading back to camp, shouting, “torches, light up your torches. We need more light!”