Chapter 7 - Tish, darker than coal

Philip having been lost in the memories of the past and why he among everyone else took the threat seriously, became conscious that he had stopped walking. Looking up at his surrounding, he found the majority of the soldiers were looking at him. Turning around, he could still see his brother was still on the wagon, hands on his hips with a puzzled look on his face. Looking down for words to say, Philip raised his head and said, “If you insist on fighting it, then it’ll be after you fully rest. Meaning, not today but tomorrow. Understood?” demanded Philip.

“Aye!” said the king, knowing that Philip would not restrict of his desire to fight.

Letting go of his anger, Philip continue walking but without a real destination. As he walked pass the rows of tents that the soldiers had set up for themselves, he heard a familiar voice. Focusing on the source and location, he found that the familiar voice was hiding behind a tent on the far left side line of camp. And hiding alone, it wasn’t. There before it, the familiar voice, was a roasting boar. A deliciously smelling boar, with a younger man slowly turning it over a fire. Advancing into view, Philip found that Robert was the familiar voice. “I figured it would be you.” Said Philip. “What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be resting?”

“Morning General! I got enough rest for now. I am actually on my way to Smith but this juicy tender delicious boar you see here caught my attention.” Revealed Robert.

“The smell enough proves your innocence.” Admitted Philip as he look at the young man. “I know you.” Said he to the man.

“Aye, indeed you do. Malvin, would you please stand so Philip can see how much you’ve grown.” Asked Robert.

Getting up and somewhat unease that Robert called Philip without his proper title in his presence. “Good morning general.” Greeted him as he straightened himself.

Eyeing Malvin, Philip recounted the events that led to Robert taken him in as son and brother and in the end training him as knight. Impress at the young’s man status and looks, Philip said, “I’d say Robert, if you wanted to retire, you can do it now. I’ve just found your replacement.”

“And I’d want none other.” Affirmed Robert.

Giving Robert a concerned look, he asked “retirement?”

“I’m thinking about it. I’m getting old and nearing fifty-five. I’m not as able as I used to, well not that I am incapable but you’ll be perfect to take my place.” Revealed Robert.

“No you can’t. If you leave, I leave. I don’t want to be given the status of lieutenant I want to earn it. I want to climb the ranks. If I replace you now, the men will never really respect me nor follow me.” Complained Malvin.

“The kid is dedicated. I approve of your chose.” Said Philip as he turned to leave but doing the opposite immediately. Pulling out his knife, he advance toward the fire and carved himself a couple of boar ribs. Putting it to his mouth, he savored it as if it was his first delicious treat. “Amazing! Robert, shame on you for not knowing how to cook. Shame on you for not telling me how an amazing cook he is. I would have dine as if I was in the castle.” Reproached a humorous Philip. “Anyhow, don’t stay too long, you don’t want to keep Smith waiting. No, no sit, sit.” Waved he to Robert who was about to get up. “I’m going to him now. I’ll tell him you’re coming. Just bring him some meat, I’m sure he’ll appreciate it.” Said he as he turned around and left.

Unbeknown to Malvin, and Robert, the soldiers that were previously with Malvin before Robert came and interrupted them, weren’t far off. They were waiting for Robert to leave to have their turn at eating. “Damn, first lieutenant Robert, now the general, if the king and lieutenant John finds out, there’ll be nothing left.” Whispered a teary eyed solider.