Chapter 40: Late Night Talks

Karina had heard the things that Robb's men whispered as she walked by them. She wasn't deaf. She felt bad for the woman that Robb was with. It couldn't have been good to hear for anyone, but what could she do. Ser Harrold was waiting for her by the tent when she arrived. Once the Stark bannerman was gone, she motioned for the head of her Queensguard to follow her into the tent. "My Queen, I think it would be best if we leave at dawn. As a newly anointed Queen during a war, it isn't safe to be out of our borders," he explained.

"Regardless of what Robb Stark decides, we will leave at dawn, Ser Harrold," she assured him. "If he chooses to agree with our deal, two of the Queenguard will stay behind to bring the prisoner," she said. Harrold was correct to be cautious and worried for her safety. After the death of Renly Baratheon in his own camp, there was fear that maybe another monarch would fall.

"I will have Rivier and Krantos stand guard for the night, my Queen. The horses will be prepared for dawn," Harrold told her before exiting the tent. Karina had only been in her tent for a few moments when Rivier announced the arrival of the Northern king.

"Let him in," Karina called out. She had been sitting on one of the chairs and didn't bother getting up. Robb entered the tent alone, Talisa not by his side this time. Had the matter not been of importance, it would have been improper of the unwed king and wedded queen to be alone in a tent during the night. "Make yourself comfortable," Karina told him when he stepped into the tent. "Though this tent doesn't seem to be built for comfort but utility instead," she noted looking around the tent with bare necessities.

"Well we are at war and need to be ready to move at a moment's notice," Robb retorted taking a seat across from her. He noticed hints of dirt on her stark white gown from when she had gone to see Jaime Lannister in the cells. "How was your visit to the cells?" He questioned.

"It was good to see him after so long, but the joy was short lived," Karina replied sighing. "Soon enough there won't be much love in his heart for me. I took my stance and unfortunately for us, it is against his family," she said speaking her mind. "I didn't want to be Queen, but now that I am, I can't be selfish. I need to put my people before myself," she continued. She wondered if Robb felt the same as her. Their circumstances were very similar. Two people pushed to the crown by their people in a rebellion and grief.

"I understand," Robb told her. He didn't want to be king, but he had to despite that. There was nothing else he could do without letting his bannermen down. "I conferred with my advisors," he spoke.

"And what did they say?" Karina asked glad that he had shifted the conversation.

"They had plenty to say," Robb replied not directly answering her question. To be honest, the advisory council had given him a headache. He preferred being on the battlefield instead of the politics done in the war tent. "Nothing bad, but some of the men were unsure due to your marriage," he told her. The Karstarks and Boltons in particular were concerned by the family that Karina had married into.

"They should realize that for months I've been no where near any Lannisters and my loyalties aren't with the family I was married to," Karina said.

"I explained that to them," Robb replied. "For the most part, they agreed that an alliance would be advantageous for us," he said.

"But?" She asked knowing that there was a but at the end of his sentence.

"It would be better if the alliance more than just a verbal agreement," Robb said. They had mentioned a marriage between him and Karina, but he wasn't going to bring that up. Karina was in love with her husband despite everything and he loved Talisa.

"We can figure something more permanent later on to appease them then," Karina replied knowing exactly what his advisers had meant. "My Queensguard wants me to be back in the falls as soon as possible. So we will be leaving at dawn. Rivier and Krantos, the two men guarding the tent, will stay behind and bring the prisoner back with them," she explained.

"Seems like the best option. It isn't safe for anyone to travel freely anymore," Robb said.

"Now, who was the woman in the tent with us earlier?" Karina asked with a grin.

"Talisa Maegyr, she's a healer from Volantis," Robb said as a smile formed on his lips. "I'm going to ask her to marry me soon," he said. He was betrothed to a Frey, but his heart was with Talisa. He couldn't in good faith be married to someone he didn't love or at the least have some sort of feelings for.

"She'd be foolish to say no," Karina stated. Robb Stark was the type of man that girls dreamed of marrying. Handsome and honorable. Talisa Maegyr would be foolish to say no to him.

The two monarchs continued to talk as the night went on. The discussion moved from Robb's proposal to Talisa to Karina's plans for the Falls. It wasn't until Krantos entered the tent to tell his Queen that dawn was just a few hours away that they realized how long they had been talking. Robb wished her a goodnight and retreated to his own tent.

A lamp was still burning when he entered his tent. Talisa sat on the bed writing something. "Did the meeting run long?" Talisa questioned setting the letter aside and turning her attention to him.

"The meeting wasn't too long. Karina and I simply lost track of time while talking," Robb replied with a small smile. Talisa could tell that Robb looked more relieved now than he did in the morning. Maybe it was the thought of having more men and resources or maybe it was the dark haired Queen that his men wanted as their Queen.

"Were you two close?" She asked wonder what exactly their relationship entailed of. Even Theon and his mother hadn't brought this much happiness and lightness to the recently crowned king.

"We only knew one another for a few days, but she was so different from anyone I had ever met before," Robb replied. "You would like her. Karina very much is about everyone being equal and doing the best for others," he said.

"Did you have feelings for her?" Talisa asked cautiously. She couldn't compete with someone like Karina. Karina was a Queen with a bountiful kingdom to offer and a lifetime of Westerosi experience. She was just some girl from Volantis that had become a healer who didn't know anything about Westerosi customs. Robb furrowed his eyebrows at her questions, confused as to what had brought the line of questioning.

"What?" He said as he undressed from his formal clothing in order to change into something to sleep in. "Karina is just a friend. She was betrothed to be married when we met and now she is married to a man that she loves despite their ," he said not mentioning how much he had wanted to kiss Karina after their trip to Winterfell or how he called her the most beautiful woman he'd met. Robb turned around and sat down in front of Talisa on the bed. "I love you," he said before leaning in to kiss her and take her mind off of the questions. Talisa let herself get distracted by Robb, deciding to end the questions for now. He hadn't answered her question, but worked a way around it. She would prove further later, for now, she would enjoy his company.