Chapter 39: If No One Else, Trust a Stark

As they approached the Stark encampment, the advice her father had given her rang in her head. With all these alliances being forged and broken, kings rising and falling, people dying, Karina knew that there was only one move she had to make. The only truly honest and honorable family in Westeros was the Starks. She could trust them.

"My Queen, we could still turn around," Ser Harrold said glancing at the Stark banners in the distance. There was no telling how the Northern king and his bannermen would react to their Queen. See Harrold, like the others on the Queensguard, had known Karina for years now and would die for her. However, none of them wanted that to happen so soon in her reign. A king had already fallen due to unknown forces. They had to be careful, but how careful could they be when their Queen was so willingly riding into an enemy camp?

"We could but we will not," Karina replied firmly. She was determined to meet with the King in the North. After being banned from traveling for months now, she was finally able to travel to places on her own instead of sending envoys. With her head held high, Karina marched towards the Stark camp. Her newly appointed Queensguard following closely behind her, ready to attack anyone who wished her harm. Squires trailed behind them with the Spyre banner waving in the air to signal who they were. So far the Spyres hadn't declared their support for any king and neither had they made any moves to attack other players in the game.

A Stark banner stopped them when they reached the camp. "State your purpose," the man grunted out. He recognized the black and gold banner easily. The golden phoenix stood out against the dark sky, shining brightly on the field of black. There weren't many houses that would come riding into a war encampment during the time of rebellions.

"We come as friends," Karina spoke raising her voice just enough to be authoritative. With help from her father and mother, she had worked on projecting her voice. In order to be a great Queen, she couldn't be meek and quiet. No, she needed to be and sound powerful. The men of Westeros weren't ones to so easily take commands from a woman. "I'd like to meet with the King in the North," she stated. The Stark banner glanced at a man behind him with a nod. The other man ran off, presumably to find Robb. A few minutes later, the man returned panting out of breath.

"King Robb will see you," he directed at Karina. "But they have to stay here," he added glancing at the guards with Karina.

"Not a chance," Ser Harrold argued. It would be the perfect opportunity to slay a Queen when she was separated from her guards. One less person with ambitions for the throne.

"That'll be fine," Karina said at the same time. "Lead the way," she told the Stark banner. Ser Harrold went to argue, but one look from his Queen stopped him. Karina followed the man until they reached a big tent.

"Queen Karina of the Falls, your grace," the man said once they stepped into the tent. He quickly left them alone. Karina noticed that a woman was with Robb in the tent. She presumed he trusted her enough to stay.

"It's been a while," Robb said looking at Karina. Physically Karina hadn't changed much, well certain parts of her body had grown just slightly due to childbirth. But, the aura she emitted had changed. Robb could feel the power and strength exuding from her. She seemed much more self-assured now then she did when they had first met. Her head was held high, but not in a manner that looked down at others.

"A little over a year," Karina said with a sigh. "The beard suits you," she said taking in his appearance. He wasn't clean shaven like she remembered. But shaving was the last concern when at war. Robb was still as handsome, if not more handsome with the beard. Though she could see the weight of the crown on him. He wasn't as good at hiding how it weighed him down just yet.