Chapter 18: The Lion and The Phoenix

The day had come. House Spyre and House Lannister would be united by the marriage between Karina and Jaime. Centuries old feuds were to be forgotten by all parties. All throughout Veritas people were getting ready. Ladies trying to outshine one another and look the most beautiful. Young maidens attempting to catch the eye of some lord that would give them a life of luxury. In less than an hour, Karina and Jaime would be wed under the sight of the Seven. Karina who had been getting ready for hours now, was almost done. All that was left to do was tie the corset of her wedding dress and make sure it was situated properly.

"Are you nervous?" Maecy asked her daughter as she tied the corset of Karina's wedding dress. The dress was a slightly off white color with golden embroidery.

"As nervous as any girl on her wedding day should be," Karina replied clasping the lion necklace around her neck.

"But you are no ordinary girl," Maecy said resting her arms on her daughter's shoulders. "You have the fire of a phoenix coursing through your veins and the sun blessing you. It's not you that should be nervous, rather all those around you," Maecy stated. Karina let out a small laugh at that.

"Has the Septon begin?," she questioned. Right at that moment, Aren walked in.

"It's almost time," he said taking in her appearance. He had never expected to lead his little girl to an altar where the Kingslayer was waiting. He always assumed he would lead Karina to an altar where the man she loved was waiting. "You look beautiful," he told her with a smile.

"Thank you," Karina replied smiling.

"We should probably head out. Camren is seated next to Tywin," Aren said with a slight laugh. Camren had been antagonizing Tywin since the ceremony had begun.

"Well uncle has been living in Essos and been to Dothraki weddings before," Karina said. "And it's not a successful wedding if no one dies," she joked.

"Don't give your uncle a reason to murder the Queen's father," Aren retorted holding out his arm for Karina to take. The raven haired girl took her father's hand before the two began walking out of the room. Maecy followed behind, making sure that Karina's dress wasn't dirtied between her chambers and the Sept. It only took them a couple of minutes to reach the Sept. The three stood outside the closed doors. Karina standing on the left of her father and her mother standing behind her.

The doors opened to reveal the interior of the Sept. Jaime stood in front of the Septon, waiting for her arrival. "From the ashes we rise," Aren said quietly as he led his daughter down the stairs. All around the Sept people watched as the Warden of the Falls brought his daughter for her wedding to the future Warden of the Westerlands.

"To destroy our enemies," Karina finished, smiling at the people as she walked past them. Without any words, Aren presented his daughter to Jaime and the Septon. Karina took her place beside Jaime while her father moved back to stand with her mother, brother, and Elayne.

"You may now cloak the bride and bring her under your protection," the Septon said. Jaime took the crimson red and gold cloak from beside him and clasped it around Karina. The golden lion embroidered on the back signifying her husband's noble House. Karina felt the weight of the heavy material and internally groaned at having to wear it for the rest of the ceremony. With the heaviness of her gown and the cloak, she felt as if she was being dragged down, but she couldn't show that. "My lords, my ladies, we stand here in the sight of the gods and men to witness the union of man and wife. One flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever," the Septon said. Jaime held his hand out in front of him and Karina placed her hand in his. The Septon began tying the red ribbon on their joined hands. "Let it be known that Jaime of House Lannister, heir of Casterly Rock; and Karina of House Spyre are one heart, one flesh, one soul. Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder," the Septon proclaimed. "In the sight of the Seven, I hearby seal these two souls, binding them as one for eternity," the Septon stated untying the ribbon. "Look upon each other and say the words," the Septon commanded. The bride and groom turned to face one another. Blue eyes meeting green eyes.

"Father, Smith, Warrior, Mother, Maiden, Crone, Stranger," the two said in unison as they looked at one another in the eyes.

"I am hers and she is mine. From this day, until the end of my days," Jaime spoke.

"I am his and he is mine. From this day, until the end of my days," Karina said at the same time.

"With this kiss, I pledge my love," Jaime said loudly before kissing Karina. When the two parted, they turned to face the crowd.

It was official, House Spyre and House Lannister were bonded by marriage. The lion and and phoenix were one in the sight of the Seven. Jaime led his new bride out of the Sept and towards the garden where the feast would be held. On his way out, he didn't miss the stares from his father and sister. His sister looked at his new bride in disdain and his father looked at her as a prize won by the Lannisters.