Chapter Three

"He who seeks vengeance must dig two graves: one for his enemy and one for himself

"He who seeks vengeance must dig two graves: one for his enemy and one for himself."

- Unknown

≡≡≡≡≡ ≡≡≡≡≡ ≡≡≡≡≡ ≡≡≡≡≡ ≡≡≡≡≡ ≡≡≡≡≡

1865

He didn't remember what happened. He could only remember falling into darkness as soon as he saw it.

Ryu stood silently in front of his parents' tombs, his face darkening as he focused on the numbers of the gravestone.

Sousuke Aiko
1819-1862

Sousuke Ren
1818-1862

Sousuke Aiko and Sousuke Ren. His beloved parents.

Reminiscing back to that dreadful night, Ryu felt a spiral of emotions surge through him. He didn't trust himself not to burst into tears and sob, as it was pointless.

He grimaced, wanting to forget. But a part of him wanted to remember.

Three years prior, Ryu's family had been slaughtered in their home. His mother, his father, and his two youngest siblings. In the gruesome scene were their corpses, covered with cuts and deep slashes as if the killer's intention was to fillet them like a fish. Bloody handprints and footprints scattered the wooden floorboards.

Ryu couldn't forget the way he vomited at the sight of the lifeless bodies. Battering out all the contents in his stomach.

In his heart, he didn't want to believe it. That his family was murdered while he was gone. After that night, the memories still haunted him, giving him constant nightmares. Even now, Ryu still wasn't at peace.

The rain fell like a waterfall, leaving him drenched. But the droplets didn't bother him — only the suffering in his heart. Every day since that one night, he visited his family's tombs. Apologizing, and shedding tears. Every time he visited, he felt the same emotions over and over. Guilt, sadness, anger and fear.

Ryu gripped the hilt of his katana that hung by his side. "I-I wasn't there," He spoke softly, his voice cracking. "I wish I could have been there. If I had, you would still be alive today. I'm sorry."

He glanced at the sky. He no longer felt anything, only numbness. Rain poured from the sky as if their misery mirrored his. Although it was quiet except for the background noise,  Ryu's mind battled back and forth. It was starting to feel as if he would snap at any moment.