Chapter 12 - Wake Him Up

Start from the beginning

Rushing forward, she picked up her torch where it landed and stood back awaiting for the tapestry to burn completely all the while trying to hold back her excitement. Once it was all ashes, the size of the entrance wall was wide enough for four cows to fit in together. The opening was a clean cut through the wall. Peering her torch through, she could see the floor on the other side. Holding the torch above her, the ceiling was nowhere near visible. “Could this be a cave? This deep below the castle?”

“Wake him up. Wake him up and command him.” Her father’s voice echoed in her head. Taking up courage, she walked through to the other side with confidence. As the queen that she is, she walked with boldness. With the strength and courage required of her, of her crowned, she feared not the darkness around her. Having walk a great distance from the room of records, with her back toward it, and darkness before her, she raised her voice, “dragon of old, it is I your queen.” Her voice echoed throughout the darkness, but nothing responded. 

Raising her voice a second time she said, “dragon of old, wake up, for your queen summons you!” Still no response. “Call him out.” she heard her dad’s familiar voice. Taking in a deep breath, and this time with full authority she spoke firmly, “My name is Queen Erlen of Henri. Heir to my father’s throne, and his father before him. I command thee to heed my call and wake up. By the power of this crest I command thee to wake up!” she raised her voice at the end. And as her echoed died down, the familiar noise of cracking, echoed back. Faintly at first, then louder and louder until it stop all together. 

Waiting in total silence and not knowing what to expect, Queen Erlen wondered whether she was brave or foolish to be down here all alone. Placing her lit torch ahead above her head, she took a couple of steps forward. With every steps echoing throughout this unknown territory. On her fifth step, a low growl was heard, causing her to stop advancing. Awaiting for the worst, she listened as something shuffled in the shadows. Shuffled and approached. 

She could feel something was there in front of her. She could feel it but couldn’t see anything. Grasping her hands around the torch, she threw it as far as she could in front of her. She watched as the torch spun in mid air and yet still not bright enough to let her see what was around her in this darkness. But when it landed on the floor, it was clear to see what was facing her. Shocked and afraid, Erlen started to pace backwards toward the room of records, back to where was better lit. 

Having fallen away from her, as she intended, the flames of her once held torch, revealed claws the length of a full stretch fox and the height of her knee. No painting was necessary to help her make sense of what she was seeing. As soon as she saw the claws, queen Erlen took her first step back. As she did so a wind, or rather a breath, blew out her only light source. Now in total darkness she kept her pace and tried not to panic. With every step she took, it felt like the dragon was taken twenty of his own. And as she reach the entrance she once crossed, the dragon’s breath was beating down on her head. Slowly but surely, she cross back to her domain, her familiar territory, as she heard shuffling noises once more through the dark cave. Running toward the stairwells, she unhook a fresh torch off the wall. Pacing back to where she once stood she watch as the dragon’s scale become visible. It was of a dark gray color. Without expectations, what she was looking at, flung open, and a giant eyeball, stared back at her. Dirty orange were the color of the it’s eye. That was the last thing Erlen saw before fainting. 

When she woke up, it took her a couple of seconds to figure out where she was. Whether inside the records room or in the dragon’s cave. For, there were no lid sources anywhere. Sitting up she tried to adjust her eyes to the darkness around her. But alas, in vain. 

“Queen of Henri, how is your father?” asked a deep tone voice. 

Hesitating to answer, queen Erlen answered anyway, “My, father, my father passed away, many years ago. How did you know him?” asked she, somewhat already knowing the answer to her question.