1-Accepted to The Academy. We'll sort of-1

(There's a pic up above^)

So I've always wanted to explore the stars. I have no interest in anything on earth, there could be so much beyond the stars, beyond our solar system. I've watched enough space movies to know that I want to find out what's beyond our sun. What's beyond our stars. 

Anything beyond earth! Oh it's all so magnificent.

Just the thought of the most beautiful things that rest beyond our view gives me tingles. Have you ever seen a white hole? Never have I. But I know something like that exists somewhere. I've never seen a nebula, or just a star up close.

Space can be just so beautiful.

I sighed as I ran my fingers through my two tones hair, scrambling the colours. The year is 2031 and ever since space movies became a hit, many places all over the world have tried to recreate things. A school has opened in Nebraska just a few miles from Area 51. 

A school intergrated with the best technology known to man, and only the best of the best were accepted.  The Universal Academy. Pretty basic name, nothing like the Galaxy Garrison or the Starforce Saunders. 

I applied to the school because I have beat every piloting/driving game five times in a row. I have maneuvered cars and a bus out of dangerous situations. And I successfully piloted a malfunctioning hover bike. 

If they accept me to take entrance exams, I'll show them that I belong at that school, and that I belong in space. "I belong in space." I whispered to myself.

"Kat! Kat! The letters here! Your letter your letter!" My mom shouted practically bursting into my room. 

She slid on the floor and crashed into my hamper. She got up and blew some hair out of her face. She waved the half crumpled letter in my face and threw it at me.

I stared at the luminescent blue envelope. I hesitantly opened it and took out the small circular device. Then a hologram showed up, emitting from the blue device. 

"Katherine MacArthur, the Universal Academy is proud to inform that you have been invited to participate in the entrance exams. You will be put through a series of tests and simulators to test your abilities and see if you are qualified to be sent out on one of our deep space missions."

"The entrance exams are located at our school, if you are not available to transportation, please contact us so we may be able to help. Exams will be held on June 11th at 4:00 am sharp. We advise that you don't be late."

Today was May 28th that was in like two weeks?!

Just then the hologram shut off, the blue screen disappearing.

I did it! I made it! About 5,000 students a year all around the world just apply to take the entrance exams. Only 400 are allowed to take the exams. And only 100 are accepted each year!

I made it! Now just to do my best and get into that school!

"Sweetie! I'm so proud of you!!" My mom said engulfing me in a hug.

Holy crap. I cant believe I did it!

"Do you have your sunscreen? A charger? Your special pills?"

"Mom! Mom. I'm only gonna be there for a week, calm down. And yes I have everything."

"I'm going to miss you!" My mom whined hugging me with all her strength.

"If you die I call dibs on your room." My brother said leaning against my door frame. I rolled my eyes at the tall male. It's funny how everyone in my family have the tall genes, and I'm stuck with grandma Betty's height. She's 4"8 and a half. While my mom is 5"8 and my brother is 6"2

I stuck my tongue out at him playfully. "I'm not going to die, they're simulations."

"But if you do die. I still get your room."

"Over my dead body."

"Yea, that's the point."

"Aww you'll miss me."

"I won't."

I shoved my phone in my pocket and slid on my backpack, I was going to be taking a train, a two day ride. Well a day and a half. We couldn't afford a plane ticket there and back, so we bought a train ticket.

"Are you sure you're okay walking to the station?"

"Mom, its only like five blocks away. I'll be fine."

I kissed my mom on the cheek and hugged my brother before running out the front door. The cool air hit my face and I smiled at the outside world. Technology has advanced so much over the years. It's only 2031 and we have cars that hover. And no it's not like Back To The Future or Voltron. But it's pretty damn close.

New York looks like Tokyo. Or that one Lil Nas X video from way back.

I ran my fingers through my hair and smiled at the regulars. I started walking saying hi to the people I've known for years. I was super stoked. I was going to show the Academy everything I had! They were going to know my name.

I put on my headphones and leaned my head against the train widow. I closed my eyes at the cool glass against my skin. I sighed as I bopped my head to my favorite song. People say my taste in music is old. 

Just because I vibe to music from 2000-2025 doesn't mean my taste is old. I just don't like whatever crap they got out now. It's all dubstep and techno music. It's weird.

Even though Marshmello isn't around anymore, many people have taken what he did and turned it into something. I cant say 'great' but it's something.

Death of a bachelor

Oh oh oh

Letting the water fall

I hummed along.

"No way I love that song!" I jumped at the sudden voice and took off my headphones.

"Uh what?" I said turning around.

"Panic! At the Disco! I love them."

"They're not too 'old' for you?" I asked using quotation marks.

"Too old? No way I love that era of music." 

I made eye contact with the male. Gray hair and brown eyes. Fair skin and a bowl cut I'm guessing. I smiled at him and got up from my seat to sit next to him, "ok what's your favourite song?"

"Like by them or in general?"

"Doesn't matter."

"Well by Panic! I like New Perspective, and in general I'm obsessed with Are You Bored Yet."

"Oh my god, I love the wallows!"

"I can't tell we're going to be best friends, I'm Dylan."

"Kat." I said raising my fist.

He looked at me with confusion and stared at my fist. "Like this." I said holding back a giggle. I grabbed his hand and he made a fist as well. I lightly punched his fist. "Fist bump."

He nodded his head and asked, "where you heading?"

"Nebraska" I said with a wide grin.

"Really? What for?"

"I'm gonna take entrance exams for Universal Academy."

"No way! Me too!"

"What did you apply for?"

"Technician."

"That's dope, I wanna be a pilot."

Dylan and I talked for about an hour or two before I started to feel tired. I think I fell asleep on his shoulder.

1216 words

Thanks for reading 🖤