The man with the weird beard

The odour of plough and labour in the neighbouring fields was most of what Adolf could smell at that precise moment in a seemingly never-ending afternoon for him. The only other scent invading his nostrils was that of the mix between that of his stinky unkempt beard and his sweat. Having spent another whole day at the tavern, despite being only sixteen, he enjoyed the magnificent view of the government's spearmen butchering local peasants who had risen against their poor treatment by their landlords. Fortunately for him, it was happening in another village than his own, situated below the mountain he lived by. That sight of blood and children running in all directions somehow left him rather indifferent, a mere eye twitch was all he made. But in his defense, he wasn't very much realizing what was happening, being almost drunk to the point of falling off his three-legged chair.

To be perfectly transparent on that matter, he had not yet found a suitable work for him, even though he tried his luck in a lot of very different professions : His service in the army was disastrous, probably because of his unfixable and unusual sleep schedule and more generally his lack of discipline, He wasn't much luckier working in the fields as he almost died after a single day of work at a perfectly correct temperature, and let's not even talk about his bard experience, but even though he was very much a weakling both mentally and physically, he had found his calling for one job.

He had been hired by the generous Jewish cobbler Dovid Fayermann to sell his shoes on the village market in exchange for an undoubtedly reasonable share of 10% on each sale. That deal was very much working for both of them as Adolf, quite surprisingly so, had become very good at convincing people to buy things they don't need, by mimicking the gestures of his coworkers. But the thing that you imperatively need to know about him is that even when everything in the world is going for him, he cannot resist being an idiot. Thinking that his business partner would never notice, Adolf steadily increased the prices more and more, while never changing the sum he gave to Fayermann. It worked for quite some time, and Dovid was out-jewed. But that doesn't mean that he was an idiot, well, he was smart enough at least to notice that there was something very suspicious about the 10% keeper walking around with noblemen clothes and harboring a clean square mustache. Adolf was fired and, well, that was the last job he ever got as of then.

His lack of job security, even though arguably the most urgent of his problems, wasn't the only one he had. His hope for finding an Aryan woman who would be willing to marry him was, among many other applicable adjectives, forlorn. He wasn't the least handsome guy in the province for sure, but well he wasn't exactly gorgeous either. One could argue that his bubbly eyes and his heavy eyebrows gave him the stare of a rapist, or even that his black hair and beard acted as some sort of representation of death and selfishness, and his sometimes hot-headed and sometimes nonchalant personnality made it difficult to others to consider him as more than an undesired acquaintance. Overall he wasn't the best candidate for marriage in the Holy Roman Empire.Only god knows what was going through his drunken brain as he sit there at the balcony of his house while his eyes were directed towards the lovely sight of the village and its surrounding greeneries, that were becoming increasingly more crimson from blood and orange as well as gray from the burning of houses and it's consequently arising smoke, but we can assume by the closure of his anvil-like eyelids that he went to sleep, not aware that nothing would be as before when he'd wake up a few hours later.