chapter 8

Rye stretched then pulled himself off the couch. He had no idea what time it was but he was more confused as to why his forehead was wet. He knew that Andy had given him the blanket because he didn't have one when he fell asleep and it didn't just magically end up spread over his body but the wetness on his forehead couldn't be explained.

Rye decided to shrug it off claiming that he was  sweating and that the wetness was nothing else. He neatly folded the blanket, laying it on the couches handle before making his way into the kitchen. He stood at the sink filling a glass with water and taking a sip. He turned away from the sink and almost had a heart attack as he saw Ryley standing there with one hand rubbing the sleep out of her eye while the other clutched onto her stuffed rabbit.

"Sweetie, why are you up" Rye asked as he caught his breath after the scare the four year old caused. "Nightmare" she said as she walked over to him and held up her arms signaling she wanted to be held. Rye picked her up and placed her on his hip, her head finding it's way into his neck.

Rye's swayed his body to an imaginary beat, humming a song his mother used to sing to him when she was still in her right mind. Ryley yawned and wrapped her small arms around Ryes neck. "You wanna go to bed now honey" Rye asked just above a whisper to her, afraid that if he raised his voice any higher she'd snap herself out of the sleepy state. Ryley nodded her head so Rye turned off the kitchen light and headed toward Ryley's room.

Rye laid Ryley down on her bed and placed a kiss on her forehead as he smoothed back the hairs that were no longer held back in a ponytail. "Can you read me a bed time story" Ryley asked, sitting up. Rye sighed and nodded  knowing she wouldn't go to sleep until she was read one. He grabbed her favorite book, one about a princesses of course, and sat down on her bed. He opened the book and began to read.

"And they all lived happily ever after, the end." Rye said closing the book. He stared at Ryley as she stared back at him "that was boring" she sighed falling back dramatically on her pillow "read another daddy please" Rye sighed and looked through her books, all of them being about princesses.

Rye continued to read to her until he'd finished every single book she had. Ryley was still awake but her eyes were slowly drooping. Rye picked her up and  laid down on her bed, placing her small body on top of his, wrapping one arm around him protectively while the other smoothed over her hair. He began to softly sing the lullaby again while still smoothing his hand over Ryley's hair, using his other to rub patterns into her back.

Ryley yawned and snuggled herself closer to Rye. "Goodnight daddy, i love you" she whispered, falling asleep before Rye could answer. The words made Ryes heart swell. He absolutely loved the little girl so much and already thought about adopting her after the program, he even wanted River. Sure, the little boy got scared around him easily and refuses to be held by him, his love for River only grew everyday and he longed to have a father-son relationship that he never experienced with his own father.

"I love you too baby girl" he whispered back, even though he knew she couldn't hear him. He gave her one last kiss on the forehead before drifting off to sleep holding his precious baby.
××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
I didn't really know what to write in this chapter or how to end it so in feel like it's pretty shitty but I hope you like it 😅💞