Chapter 23

The only noise in the room was the consistent beeping of the heart monitor. About an hour before Asher had finished surgery and was taken to a room that his sisters immediately infiltrated. Since then they hadn't left his side, both of them holding one of his hands on either side of the bed. He hadn't woken up yet, so the only thing keeping the girls from going insane was the obnoxious beeping that made Athena hit her head against the wall repeatedly, but she didn't say anything. Everyone sat in the room with them equally as quiet, the girls for moral support and the boys because he was their friend. The only ones who weren't in the hospital room were Florence and Miller Mercer.

    The last any of them heard of the Mercers were from Lennon when she went to visit them before everyone knew about the situation. Her parents had no idea what chaos had happened since then and at that point, Lennon knew she had to speak to her parents if she wanted to know what to do next. For the first time of her life, Lennon was clueless. She sat there looking at the tubes that went up her brother's nose with sorrow in her eyes. She was the reason that he was there. If she hadn't told everyone about what she was doing if she had been more stubborn and no allowed them to join her they wouldn't be there. The guilt was overwhelmingly crushing, physically causing her to sink in her chair.

    Piers and Wren exchanged looks of concern. They both knew Lennon well enough to know that it was killing her seeing her brother lying in a hospital bed. It was something they equally hated and admired about her. She was willing to do anything to protect the people she cared about even if it meant something terrible for her. Seeing her brother in that bed instead of her was clouding her conscious. Wren reached forward squeezing Lennon's shoulder in reassurance causing her to lean back into the hand for a moment before standing up. Holland looked up for the first time since they entered the room to look at her through her tears eyes. Her cheeks were stained with the ones that fell and the tip of her nose was a light shade of red.

"Where are you going?" She asked.

"I have to talk to mom and dad. They have to know."

"You can't go alone," Holland stated standing up.

"No, you stay here with Asher I'll be fine."

"Lennon for once don't be the strong older sister and accept my help." Lennon sighed before nodding, allowing her sister to go with her.

"Piers," she called out, "please watch him until we get back". He nodded.

"Don't worry he won't leave our site," Kit stated slinging his arm around his brother. "Unless I'm hungry or fall asleep or have to go to the bathroom, although I could probably just go with the door op-"

"We'll take care of him."

"You better or you'll be dealing with the wrath of all the Mercers."

    The two girls entered the meeting area of the prison after their items had been confiscated

    The two girls entered the meeting area of the prison after their items had been confiscated. The two shared a look before sitting at tables on the opposite sides of the room. On the way to the prison, the two girls had come up with the plan to tell their parents the information separately and to make do with the short amount of time they had Lennon was going to talk to their dad about who could possibly be behind their arrest while Holland gets advice from their mom on what to do next.