the game.

happy New Year!!!!! Thanks for giving this story a chance. Ngl, it's a slow pick-up but it's gone be full of PLOTSSSSSSSS. Anyway, enjoy 🥴

Flashback
Ruby

"Again."  Her father said sternly with a whistle against his lips. Ruby, the tender age of ten years old, weighing no less than 45 kilos, grew winded of her father's drills. Her body couldn't take any more training, and in spite of her pleas, he built a rigorous workout plan.

"Ruby! Again!" He barked as she ran to grab her rebound, huffing out of her mouth, her vision growing hazy.

"Daddy, I want a break," Ruby begs again, now on the verge of tears. Her love for basketball grew to be the weight against her shoulders at such a tender age. She was denied so much from her childhood from a selfish father. He stared in disdain before sighing,

"You have five minutes."

That was the longest break ever given to Ruby and she would bask in it, placing her arms over her head her mother sauntered outside their Villa home that overlooked the beautiful city of Miami. The nurturing side took over as she scolds her husband.

"What the hell is wrong with you Darnell? She's a child, not a machine!"

"You see the numbers she puts up every game? Ever scout across the country takes note of her! Don't tell me what to do with my child, woman." He fumes, Ruby's mother crossed her arm with a bottle in hand, her acrylic nails graze her skin.

"Your child is mine as well! And numbers don't matter right now. Let her be a fucking kid for once."

Her husband was displeased at her before throwing his hands up in surrender, stomping his feet into the house before closing the door in a vicious slam.

Ruby winced as her head looked down in failure. All she ever wanted was to be the perfect daughter, and if overworking herself to be the next best athlete was what she was destined to do—who was her mother to stop her from achieving such?

Ruby felt her mother's soft hands squeeze her shoulder blades reassuringly, as she looked up she was met with her soft eyes and beautiful smile.

"Don't listen to your father Ruby. Basketball is more than just fundamentals, you've got to enjoy it."

As Ruby hunches over, the heels of her mom's Louie Vuitton scandals clink against the pavement, picking up the basketball. Her arms in perfect form for the shot before she curls her wrist foreword.

Swish.

Making it look easy. Ruby stands up with a smile on her face. They play for hours.

for once the game of basketball wasn't so bad.

LSU @ OU
October 25, 2007
Tip off @ 7:30

She brings herself back into the faces of reality, her surroundings around Couch Oswald and Coach Jeff as the team sat inside of the locker room awaiting a speech before the impending shoot around. The warm, welcoming ginger curls at the end of his locker, hunched over with his headphones in-ear. Boisterously, the Sooners welcomes Ruby with a dap before standing next to Coach J.

"Alright folks, bring it in." He announces as his team surrounds them, "First game of the season, tons of fans out there tonight, media is having a blitz day with this," He jokes, earning a couple of chuckles as he clear his throat.

"But um, y'all know what do out there. And most of all, have fun."

"Yes, coach." The team agrees in tandem.