her name is ruby red.

Song chapter is "Miss Independent" by Neyo.

The alarm rings promptly at 5'o clock in the morning

The alarm rings promptly at 5'o clock in the morning. Ruby groans before building the momentum to force herself out of bed.  The men's basketball team had an early weekend practice before their big game on Monday, and to make matters worse, she had a late practice tonight and Saturday morning—followed by work-study on Sunday.

She removes her shorts and tank top before hopping into the shower, lathering with the most excellent Soap money could buy. Additionally, she brushes her teeth in the shower before drying. Upon completing her skincare routine, Ruby opts for Nike spandex shorts and a matching muscle t-shirt. For maximum comfort, she slides on her elite socks and scandals. To finish, she puts on her warm-up jacket before grabbing her iPod and headphones; she makes a beeline for the gym across campus.

The warm air of Oklahoma hits her rosy cheeks as her feet drag through the sudden falling of leaves. Autumn was to begin within another month from now, but the weather, however, says otherwise. Her head nods to the beat of Neyo while her hands find comfort in the confinements of her pocket.

As Ruby enters the gym, her ears can't help but recollect the screeching of sneakers, the bouncing of the basketball, and boisterous sounds made. Ruby sets her bag down on the bleacher near the commentary table, greeting the head coach—Jeff Capel. Coach Oswald reffed the scrimmage as he was too distracted to notice Ruby enter.

Coach Capel, however, did.

His smile was contagious as he shuffles to her, "There she is, the star of the hour." He chuckles, shaking Ruby's hand firmly.

"What's up, Coach J?"

"Eh, working on our fast-break opportunities." He replies, his hands on his hips. "But uh—walk with me kid, I need to speak with you."

Ruby nods hesitantly, as they roam past the baseline of the gym. A beat of silence ensues as the coach begins.

"Kiddo, they got you all over ESPN. You have got to consider the league at this point, Ruby, I mean—you are raw talent on that court."

She sighs as a pang of irritation finds her, "Coach plea—"

"I know it ain't something you want to hear. But I can't let this happen without you at least giving this a try." Coach Jeff pleads. "I'm asking you to sleep on this. I'm asking."

Ruby releases a sigh. These were high expectations that happened all too quickly, and it wouldn't be solved by a simple 'I need more time.' She'd eventually have to put her pride away and face the press with all the fame she didn't want.

"Okay. Who do I speak to?"

Jeff closes his eyes in self-satisfaction before rummaging through his pocket. Once he finds what he's searching for, he hands it to Ruby.