⠀⠀⠀ thirty four

Start from the beginning

He sent her his ever famous closed mouth smile, "Hm? Yeah, I was just thinking - well, I don't know-"

"Spit it out, nerd. I promise I won't bite."

Spencer chuckled, "That's not what I remember."

Her face turned a shade of light cherry and looked away from him. He couldn't help but notice that she always did this whenever he caught her off guard. And he was always surprised with himself when he did flirt back - it was uncharacteristic of him but he couldn't help it. Scout being such a tease brought out a side of him that he didn't know he had.

Spencer was known to being so nervous and introverted that being anything else felt like uncharted waters.

Scary and rather, exciting.

"Are you seriously bringing that up now, Reid?" She rolled her eyes and tried to play it off as if his comment meant nothing.

Spencer leaned forward, "Ah, so now we're back to Reid. If I can recall, you called me something different when you were drunk in my apartment not too long ago."

"Zoom in on the word - drunk."

"How could I forget? You nearly downed half a bottle of vodka. I thought someone as short as you was genetically obligated to be a lightweight."

Scout scoffed, slapping him gently in the arm, "Since when did stuttering Doctor Spencer Reid become so straightforward? Aren't you supposed to be spitting out Doctor Who facts to me?"

"Well I could give you some Star Wars facts instead. Do you have much of a preference?"

"Oh hell yes, I do."

The pair stopped when the door flung open, revealing a infuriated Harper Wiley pulling herself in her wheelchair towards them. Behind her was a flailing and nervous nurse from earlier, trying to stop the woman from entering.

"Ma'am, I can't let you in there. You do not have authorized permission by the FBI-"

Harper ignored the nurse's attempts, sending a quick sneer and yelled, "The FBI can kiss my disabled ass if they think I need their permission to see my own daughter! They certainly did not push her out of their vagina so I think I have priority over them."

"Ma'am-"

"Uh, it's okay," Scout said as she straightened herself, pushing Spencer's hand away. "She's allowed to be here, I'll call my boss and let him know."

The nurse gave out an exasperated sigh before shaking her head and turning out the room. Spencer, who was quiet throughout the entire scene, was left shifting uncomfortably in his seat.

Harper eyed him as she got closer to the bed, "Who are you?"

"Doctor Spencer Reid," The tall lanky man stood up and stuck out his hand, stretching from across the bed awkwardly, "I'm Scout's bo-"

"- Bodyguard! He's here looking after me and passing on details for the FBI because of, you know, - documentation." Scout chuckled out and rubbed the back of her neck.

Harper stared at his hand for a second before looking back at her daughter. He was internally was cursing himself out as he retracted his hand.