EPILOGUE

Just give me a moment to cry... We have come to this point. Thank you to those who supported this story, true beauty lives on. Its true. appreciate yourself fans and people who read it. because everything i say here is true, never be ashamed of who you are...

EPILOGUE

Mama took one look at my mum standing at the door, it was all the words they didn’t say or speak about in years spilling out through their eyes. My mum broke down at her feet sobbing her life out on the doorsteps. The rim of tears threatening to break out of mama’s eye did and she picked my mother up, hugging her like a mother hugging her new child. I walked back onto the patio giving them room to talk. They had a lot to talk about and I had a lot to think about sitting beside Hugo on the swing. He immediately put his hands around my shoulder pulling me in.

“This has been eventful.” I relaxed into his warmth, relishing the peaceful scene.

“Thank you; I can’t describe in words what you did. You made me realise I had to be strong for myself, inner beauty outshines everything. All those people I met, I can’t begin to fathom how this has changed my view. I feel more hopeful. I feel there is a place for dark skinned girls in this world, being dark another part of beauty. Being me is all part of it that’s what you were trying to get me to understand.”

“I was trying to get you to understand, not everything is the way it seems, not everyone looks perfect, and not everyone looks flawless. All those people you met are the few examples of people who never let their exterior affect who they truly are. They shine because of who they became. I like you for you Cleo and I care more about you with each passing day. I’m not going to lie to you or sugar coat things, I’m not going to tell you hundred times a day you are beautiful even though you are because it isn’t enough to simply tell you. But I will show you, you are beautiful, funny, loving, smart and a pervert.” I smacked him. “I will show you by being here for you; I will show you by showing you example of the world until you get it yourself. If you let yourself be who you truly are, you will know it yourself.”

Hugo was right. I felt empowered; suddenly I felt the urge to do something for others.

“Hugo! I have an idea.”

ONE YEAR LATER

“Welcome… thank you… yes it was…” I greeted the people as they came through the door, my nerves shooting through the roof. It was a full house; Hugo and Zara had helped me gather people, famous people, rich people, inspirational people, and all sorts of people. They were scattered across the room.” I rushed towards Hugo who was doing last minute detailing. Once the last person was seated, I took centre stage; I consciously touched my hair and my dress. The grand theatre hall was illuminated with low lights and I felt intoxicated by the people who turned out for tonight

“Er Welcome. Thank you for being here. You may wonder what today is about and have an overview but last year I was dealing with self image and skin colour issues. I even developed something called ‘mirror phobia’ I tried to bleach several times. It was when I was sent to my grandparents that I met Hugo Da Salva. Well long story short, he helped me discover myself. I am beautiful, I am gorgeous and I am not afraid to say it. I look in the mirror once a day and tell myself this. As long as you live outer beauty will never sustain you. So this summer Hugo and I went around the world to video people with inspirational stories to tell about beauty. I met some of the most amazing people on this planet. I look back feeling foolish now wanting to be lighter, wanting to be the same as everybody else. Well tonight I can tell you different. I will not change myself, for nobody, not at all. For once I will be selfish and be myself and stop trying to please everyone else. The media, the human race because the fact you guys are sitting here listening to me gives me so much faith that you know it is important to promote SKIN. No matter what shade we are, we are all beautiful. From night shade to the clouds in the sky we are all human and we are not perfect, but that’s what makes us who we are. I may have a scar, or disfigurement or skin patches but I am still me. Tonight let’s help promote love for our skin.

We started the charity SKIN from scratch, from nowhere and over the past four months we have received so much donations and help from people who understand the importance of this cause. In us lies true beauty.

Our skin carries us everywhere lets wear it proudly like the clothes we put on our back, like the shoes we put on our feet, lets love it, let’s put it first, let’s look after like our most prized treasure, guard it with everything we have, because never again will I ever take advantage of mine.

I want you to watch this video and understand how lucky we have it; some of these people can’t even step out of the house because of shame or embarrassment. Show your appreciate tonight for THEM.” I pointed to the screen as the hall erupted in applause. The screen began to play starting with Hugo and me.

-"It’s a known fact the dark skinned girl never gets to drive off into the sunset with the hot guy." Hugo juggled the keys in his hands walking to the driver's side.

"Who says?"

"The world."

"Well did the world ever get to tell you- driving into the sunset with the hot guy is so overrated. They never show you the end of the road- the part where they may or may not have crashed and burned. I mean I would prefer sitting in a convertible on a hot summer day- a plate of Rockies between us- sipping ice tea watching the sunset, to me that's a better gauge of reality... but I guess we could always do like the movies just this once."

 I smiled and he smiled slipping on his shades. We were on a long journey to discover beauty as Hugo put it. Now it’s the only thing I look forward to as I sat in his shiny blue convertible mustang, the wind greeting us like long lost friends, the sun burning brighter than ever and I relishing, relaxing and resting my favourite grey Docs on the dashboard  looking at Hugo's unique and exquisite features through our matching RayBans whilst he drove. These were the kind of days that I have come to deeply and truly admire.-

‘Born This Way’ by Lady Gaga began to play showing the people we met over the summer, the people that made me realise who I was.

Hugo appeared beside me, looking immaculate in his suit. He held my hand in the dark, squeezing another reassurance it was going just fine as we watched the progression of the movie each roll changing telling a story. I could feel my vision blurring at the images and Hugo hugged me tighter.

“You did it, You Cleo Cassia Patra, did this. All you.” He whispered.

I did this.

I did it.

I inspired.