Chapter 13- Home

“Mum.” She clasped her hand over her mouth watching me, I finally stepped closer wrapping my arms around her.

“Baby. I missed you.” Her eyes snapped to Hugo who nodded.

“Hugo. Zara’s son? Oh my god. You have grown.” She led Hugo into one of her hugs asking about Ms Da Salva as Hugo explained- his parents are divorced and his dad is somewhere in the world doing something. “Thank you so much for bringing. Come in.” I sat down on the familiar settee looking around the room. Nothing has changed, still the same as ever.

“Baby-“

“Mum I’m so sorry I tried to bleach myself. I feel so stupid for doing so, I’m sorry for ever doubting you were my mother. I shouldn’t have done it. I put you through hell all those times you ever asked me what was wrong and I gave you the silent treatment. I shouldn’t have, I should have trusted you. I love you mum.” I cried hugging the life out of her.” Rasheed jogged down the stairs and I couldn’t contain my excitement running over to him, drooling saliva over him.

“That is disgusting, you need to get off Me.” he pushed me as he stood protectively in front of me scanning Hugo. “You are Hugo? Sup?”

“Nice to meet you.”

“None of that formality, hurt my sister I will find you, I don’t know what I’ll do to you yet just know it’s not going to be pretty.”

“Sheshe stop that!” I slapped his arm. He kissed his teeth.

“I’m your brother, Hugo understands it part of the big bro code, always threaten your sister’s boyfriend. It’s actually a rule you wouldn’t understand.” He walked past me. “Hugo, step in the kitchen with me for a minute.” Hugo followed whilst I gave Rasheed a warning look.

“Cleo Honey, there’s something I want to talk to you about too. Im sorry I should never have just thrown you on a bus to live with my parents expecting you will be the solution to my problems with my parents. I should have not been a coward and gone myself and stood my ground. I left home when I was pregnant with Rasheed. I thought your father was the real deal but unfortunately not and the thing is I regret it.”

“Having Rasheed?” I asked frowning, she smiled.

“No right baby wrong time, even if it is Rasheed.” I laughed.

“I heard that!”

“Both I could never regret having you two; you are my pride and joy. I feel ashamed because they were right and I was wrong. That was what I was trying to do when I left home, that I could make it on my own that I didn’t need anyone but Patrick. But mama saw through him like a snake he was. But it was too late. The amount of times I wanted to pick up that phone and call them is countless but I don’t know if I can do that. I don’t know if I have the courage to.” I hugged her.

“Yes you can, you know deep in your heart, they are not bad people. They are your parents they always wanted the best for you and you know it mum. Stop being afraid and make amends. I could you keep me away from them all my life when she is an amazing woman. It’s like the whole of Middletown depends on her.” Mum chuckled.

“Still?” I nodded.

“I’m not going to forgive you if I don’t taste another rocky road for the rest of my life.”

“Ah the famous rocky road.”

“Yes mum, the famous rocky road. How could you forget?”

“I’m sorry, Cleo. I love you with all my heart, maybe if I had shown you from the start you had nothing to be ashamed-“

“It’s my fault too mum. I have to be independent and not depend on anyone but myself until I can do that then I can’t depend on someone else. I have to be my own person and it took me a while to realise it but I do, I get it and mum all you were try to do is be your own person but stop it now, you are already there, you are fantastic mum. You did a great job even if it is Rasheed.” I rolled my eyes. “But you have to stop fighting because mama and Papa stopped a long time again. You are just battling with yourself with your guilty conscience. You know it, I know it. Stop fighting an old war mum and come home to the people that have loved you even before they knew you were alive, they will always be a part of you. It’s now or never.” I started blubbering along with my mum as she restlessly tried to wipe the spilling tears. She nodded.

“I want to go home.”

“Ma, go home. I want to them too, they sound too cool from the way Hugo and Cleo is describing them. Ma I never got to be spoiled like those kids in the movie who constantly go on about their grandparents. I’m older now and just maybe for a day for once I can experience that I can call grandma and grandpa and have some real chat with a real man. Get true word of being a man because even though you’ve been a mother and father to me, the closest I would ever get to a real father, is grandfather and I want that. If you are worried about what they think, don’t they wouldn’t judge you just like you didn’t judge for a load of crap I did growing up, you whooped my ass but that was all part of being a mother and no matter how many times I threatened to run, I couldn’t because if I lose everyone’s care in the world. You would still be the one standing tall, mum.” My mother nodded with more definition as Rasheed appeared putting his input in the matter; my mother knows she has to do this not just for her but for us too. He crouched in front of her grabbing her hands.

“You have to do this mum.” He hugged her too and I watched Hugo leaning on the door frame. He winked at me and I mouthed a thank you.

“I’m going home.” My mum said. “I’m going home.”