#48 - End of the Line

Chapter 48 - End of the Line
published: Wednesday, 25 December 2019

When Mrs O'Leary exited the shadows, Annabeth's inhaled with a shuddering breath as the chills crawled away.

Shaking the disorientation from her head, Annabeth leaped off of her hellhound's back. "You can go find someone else to help," Annabeth told her dog tentatively. As much as she didn't want to, she had to do this next part alone.

Mrs O'Leary practically frowned and whined unwillingly. Annabeth pointed to where Chiron was fighting off a warrior. "There, he needs you."

Her hellhound gave her one last parting lick before bounding off.

Annabeth exhaled deeply as she watched her dog leave. She had never felt so alone.

Drawing her dagger, Annabeth began her search for Percy. Her eyes scanned the landscape, but she couldn't—

Annabeth's heart nearly stopped.

There he was on Half-Blood Hill, fighting for his life. Invicta and warriors alike lay on the ground, Riptide wreaking destruction upon whoever dared to challenge him.

His dark silhouette against the setting sun was almost poetic, and it taunted her. You can't have him, a little voice in her head sneered. Win the war and he could die.

Alarm bells in Annabeth's mind broke her train of thought. A giant was creeping up behind Percy, a large sword aiming for his weak spot, whether by luck or by plan didn't matter.

"Percy!" Annabeth cried as she raced up the hill, her feet tearing through the grass as she desperately tried to reach him in time.

Annabeth slashed her hand down in a cutting moving, and the knife flew out of the giant's hand with a painful crack. The giant roared as Annabeth barrelled into him with a force to challenge itself.

Annabeth drew her dagger and fought blindly, relying purely on her instincts as she landed kicks, cuts, and punches.

When the giant was gone, Annabeth stumbled backwards, her back to Percy's as they fought the rest of the monsters.

And it was just the two of them again on Half-Blood Hill, engaged in a battle of life or death.

Annabeth broke their dynamic to leap after a dracanae, disarming the monster before using the spear to decapitate three of them.

That was the last of them.

Panting terribly, Annabeth dropped the spear and nearly fell to her knees with exhaustion.

Her eyes flickered up, and against all odds, her gaze met Percy's across the battlefield.

All at once, everything else disappeared. Whatever war they were fighting, whatever monsters were out for them next — Annabeth didn't care.

In a second, Percy became the boy with the goofy grin she'd fallen in love with all those years ago. They'd grown into different people over the years, but that had never changed.

She didn't realise it when her feet started propelling her forward into a run, as if they were acting of their own volition.

Annabeth smashed her lips on Percy's as his arms wrapped around her waist.

The world exploded into light around her. It was like a fire had been lit inside her, and Annabeth never wanted to let him go. Percy groaned feverishly as they kissed passionately, her hands tightening around her neck.

A half-sob escaped her as they moulded against each other like puzzle pieces. For Annabeth, everything was once again right with the world.

"I'm sorry," Annabeth mumbled against his lips. She pulled Percy into a hug, burying her face in his shoulders.