c h a p t e r | t e n

23 December 2019

Madison

"You're going where?" I exclaim at my father.

He sighed.

"Your mother and I-" I cut him off.

"She's not my mother." I say, rudely.

"Fiona and I are going for our honeymoon tomorrow until New Years." He says and I scoff.

"Mom?" Jade chimes in.

"Our decision is final." Fiona says. "We're really sorry."

"So, we're gonna spend Christmas alone. Again." Jade sighs.

I roll my eyes at the two oldies in front of us.

"Whatever. It's nothing I'm not used to." I say and excuse myself.

"Your rudeness will not be tolerated young lady." Father says.

"And somehow your presence is." I say and left the office.

Stupid parenting.

I went to the backyard and into the garden.

I like this place because it gives off enchanting vibes. Like the ones you find in princess movies. It was covered by tall bushes and inside it there was a pretty swing and lots of flowers and plants.

The sunlight illuminated the garden perfectly as if giving it a glowy vibe.

My mom basically made this place.

I sat on the bench and hugged myself to fight off the merciless cold wind.

I was lost in my thoughts when I heard someone come in the garden.

"What are you doing here?" I ask Jade who was looking around and didn't realise my presence.

She jumped and looked at me.

"I don't know really." She shrugs and walks over to me.

"Can I?" She motions toward the pot next to me and I nod.

She sat down sighing.

"My mom built this place from scratch." I suddenly said and honestly I was shocked by my own words.

"Oh. My mom doesn't seem to care about me. Not since my dad passed." She says.

"What happened to him?" I ask, bluntly.

"He was a policeman. He died on duty. He was in a shooting and I guess it wasn't his lucky day." She shrugs looking down.

"I know what it feels like to lose someone, too. I lost my mom and sister in the same day." I say.

What am I doing?

"What happened?" She asks.

"They were in a car crash. I was just a kid when it all happened but I know nothing has been the same since they passed." I say.