c h a p t e r | f i v e

November 16 2019

Madison

"I like your hair." I say passing by a freak with a bob cut whole arms crossed with Jess.

"Thank you." She says shyly to which I smiled back.

"She looks like that short guy from the incredibles." I commented.

"I know right." Jess agrees.

As we neared a corner, I saw Axel and we made eye contact.

I stopped abruptly which made Jess stop, too.

"What?" She whines.

"Let's go this way." I say pulling her away.

She stumbles a little and curses me under her breath.

"You're hiding something from me." Jess states as we walk in the Cafeteria.

"Am not." I defended.

"Yes, you are. I've known you for a long time and trust me when I say I know when you're hiding something from me, bitch." She says as we plop down on our table where a couple of jocks were flirting with the cheerleaders.

"Hey, Sexy. Meet me in the janitors?" A guy flirts with me.

"Not now, Derek." I say, pushing him away. "I'll tell you everything later on. Come over to my house and let's have a girls night."

"But there's a party tonight." She says.

"Oh, right. After that, I guess." I say.

"Okay, it's a plan." She says.

We continue talking to the rest of the girls about girl stuff until lunch ended.

-•-

"So, basically, you're meeting Axel every night but he doesn't know who you are and Jade is gonna be your stepsister?" Jess asks and I nod, applying mascara.

"Wow, I don't know what to say." She exclaims, applying lip gloss.

"Why don't you tell him?" She asks.

"Because," I say. "He knows some of my secrets and what if he decides he hates my attitude?"

"I'm just saying. It's probably better that he knows." She says.

"There's not much difference. We just act really different around each other than at school." I say, closing the mascara bottle and applying lip gloss.

"How does he act?" She asks.

"Well, he's soft, funny, odd and different." I say, putting down the lip gloss and smiling at the mirror. "He's very different."

"You've known him for what, three days?" Jess says.

I scoff at her.

"He isn't like the rest. He doesn't just wants to fuck me. He doesn't even know how I look like yet he still chooses to keep seeing me." I defend.