Chapter 31- Giving In

I feel Ethan’s arms wrap around my back as he pulls me closer to him. The butterflies in my stomach have disappeared now. They’ve been replaced with fire. It feels like there is lava running through my veins. My whole body is on fire, and my heart feels like it’s going to beat out of my chest.

My brain is screaming at me. This is wrong, this is wrong. My body isn’t listening, as my hands move around his neck, and tangle themselves into his hair. I pull him, impossibly closer to me, illiciting a moan from him.

I don’t know if it was the moan, or my brain finally taking back over, but something broke the spell. I pull away from him, jerking my hands back like they’re on fire. Which isn’t far from the truth, my whole body feels like it’s on fire. Like I’m being burned alive, which would fit the situation well.

My hands go to my lips immediately as I step back and look up at Ethan. I can still see the desire burning in his green eyes. Behind the desire, though, something else lurking in the shadows of his luminous green eyes, pain. I hurt him again… This is too much, I can’t do this. Without a word I turn around, grab my book bag and walk out of the room.

“Skylar, wait.” I hear Ethan call me, but I don’t stop.

Rae is leaning against my car waiting for me when I make it to the parking lot. I don’t make eye contact as I walk around to the driver’s side and get in. I start the car, ignoring her probing stare as I put the car in drive. As I pull out of the parking lot I can see Ethan walking out to his car. He watches me drive away. From this distance and even through his shades, I swear I can still see the pain in his eyes.

“Are you going to tell me what’s going on?” Rae asks as we walk into my bedroom. I haven’t been very forthcoming on the way home. Actually, I haven’t spoken a word the entire way home. I know that doesn’t sound like me, I think I’m sick.

I look up at her, and bite my lip. Worry flashes over her face. What am I supposed to say? I was making out with my teacher? Oh my God I’m a whore, I’m going to Hell! I have a first class ticket on the first train leaving the station, choo, choo….

“He kissed me!” I blurt out, and I watch Rae’s eyes go wide as saucers. Her mouth drops open, and she grabs onto the dresser to steady herself.

“I don’t think I heard you correctly, he did what?” She asks, blinking a few times.

“He kissed me.” I repeat in a whisper. Hearing it out loud, I can’t believe it. It doesn’t sound real.

“Oh… My… God! Details now, spill!” Rae shouts, running over to me and shaking me. I can’t help but laugh at her eagerness.

“There’s not much to tell. We were arguing, I was trying to get him to sign the paper and he wouldn’t.”

“Why wouldn’t he sign the paper?” She asks, cocking her head a little.

“I don’t know, he would never explain. When I asked him why… He kissed me.” Rae’s mouth drops open, she stares at me for a few seconds before she closes it and smiles at me.

“Well that explains everything.” She tells me, and I look at her.

“What the hell does kissing me explain?” I ask, and Rae looks at me like I’m an idiot.

“That he is in love with you! He won’t sign the paper because he doesn’t want to lose you. Why can’t you see that?” I look at her thinking about what he said.

“I don’t know. I think he was just trying to get me to stop yelling at him.”

“You were yelling at Ethan! Why were you yelling at him?” Now I look at her like he’s an idiot.