Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Friend
●●●

A couple of days had passed and Mikasa had been up at the crack of dawn with one thing set in her mind: Drag Eren to school! 

The past couple of days had been somewhat lonesome to her and at the same time she constantly worried about the brunet, half the time she wondered if he was still alive. She sent him texts but he hadn't read a single one, which, she had to admit, was something she'd expected.

Mikasa looked at herself in the mirror and smiled to herself before leaving her room and walked over to Eren's, standing beside his door, waiting for him to open it. Roughly twenty-minutes later, she released a long sigh and turned to face the door.

She knocked on the door and simultaneously, the door swung open and her hand met Eren's chest. Mikasa's eyes widened at the sight of the taller male and gasped at the sudden opening of the door. 

"Eren...!" She exclaimed, taking a step back, "you're alive...!"

Mikasa stared at Eren who only returned the gesture, his cold viridian eyes, that put winter to shame, seemingly glowed in the dark. His eyes looking more... lifeless than usual but, Mikasa shook it off as she shook her head and looked at Eren directly in his eyes.

"Come on, let's go to school." Mikasa gave him an unwavering smile but the brunet merely pushed past her and walked away. The black haired female raised an eyebrow and quickly ran up to him, grabbing his wrist. "Not in those clothes you idiot!" She exclaimed.

She heard him mumble something but it was too quiet for her to hear. Mikasa opened her mouth to ask but she suddenly felt something cold and wet on her hand. Her gaze shifted down to her hand as she released Eren from her tight grip, seeing the thick, red liquid taint her hand.

Mikasa's words got caught in her throat as she raised her head, once more, rushing up to Eren and grabbed his wrist, aggressively pulling his sleeve up to reveal bandages wrapped all the way up to his elbow. Her eyes widened at the blood stained bandages and cloth and stared at Eren in disbelief.

"W-Why...?" Her voice broke at the question as tears welled up in her eyes, "w-why would y-you do this...?

Eren turned to face Mikasa, seeing the sadness that swarmed her deep grey hues, he stared back down at his piece of work and asked: "why not? I don't even understand why you're concerning yourself with me... it's a waste of your time."

"No it's not...!" Mikasa cried, "please Eren why...? Don't do this... this isn't the answer..."

Eren stared at Mikasa, his eyes still dull, bearing no emotions as the blood profusely dripped from his wrist. "Then what is the answer...? Tell me... do you know the answer?" He asked, leaning loser to Mikasa's face, "why this is happening? Why everyone around me is so desperate to keep me around?"

"I don't know Eren... please, can we get your arm treated at least...?" Mikasa asked as she reached for his arm but the brunet pulled his arm back.

"Don't..." he whispered, "don't involve yourself with me anymore... it's not worth it. In the end... no, it doesn't matter. Just don't involve yourself with me anymore."

Mikasa gulped as she shook her head, "no," she started, "please tell me what's going on. I can help you... so please... don't push me away. Just... talk to me... you've never done that, you've helped me with my problems so why won't you let me...?"

"Because it's pointless..." Eren answered, "this is my punishment and I just have to bare with it."

"'Punishment'?" Mikasa repeated and shook her head, "you don't have to bare it alone. I'm your friend Eren, let me help you."