1

"ARE YOU READY TO LEAVE?"

Bucky and Brody Barnes walked down the cloudy streets of Brooklyn, New York with their uniforms on. The smell of rain was heavy, a quiet sense of the rain ready to fall at any moment gave a content feeling to the youngest Barnes.

Brody tapped his fingers against the hat in his hands, watching as people walked down the streets.

"I don't know Buck."

"Come on kid. You and I are gonna be side by side, fighting for our country," he wrapped an arm around his littler brother's shoulders as they both grinned. "It's going to be great."

"Steve is going to be here all alone."

Steve Rogers, a scrawny blond boy who looked like he could barely hold his own head up. He was Bucky and Brody's best friend, the two bigger boys always watching out for them, never allowing anybody to pick on Steve for his size. The Rogers boy had a lot of heart, trying desperately to fight alongside his friends in the war against the Nazis. However with Steve's various conditions and being unusually small there was almost no way he would ever be able to.

"You're worried about Steve?" Bucky chuckled, lightly shoving his brother. "He's a fighter, getting stronger everyday. He'll be just fine."

"You just don't know when to give, up do you?" The two Barnes' looked down the alley way with wide eyes spotting an all too familiar face.

"I could do this all day." The two enlistees hurried to their friend's aid as they saw a, much bigger, stranger lunge at Steve.

"Hey," Bucky grabbed the man's arm and yanked him away as Brody rushed over to Steve's side.

"Are you alright?" Brody asked softly as he grabbed onto the blond's arms, helping him stand up.

"Pick on someone your own size." The older Barnes glared at the man. The man huffed, swinging his fist to try and hit Bucky, only for Buck to dodge it and send a swift punch to his jaw.

"I'm okay," Steve nodded to Brody softy. He slowly pulled away from the Barnes' grasp, dusting himself off.

"I'm starting to think you liked getting punched," Bucky scoffed at his friend. Brody swallowed hard as he rubbed the back of his neck, wincing at Steve's disheveled state.

"I had him on the ropes." The two Barnes boys hummed unbelievingly, Bucky leaning down to pick up the papers by Steve's feet.

"How many times is this? Oh, you're from Paramus now?" He shook his head as he looked over the papers. "You know it's illegal to lie on your enlistment form. And seriously?" Bucky gave a deadpanned look to the boy. "Jersey?"

Steve looked up at the two, Brody not being able to stop his frown at the sight of the bruises already forming on Steve's jaw.

"Did you guys get your orders?" Steve's eyes flickered between the brothers in curiosity.