25 || T W E N T Y - F I V E

Start from the beginning

I took a step forward.

Because you wanted someone like me...

"Because I was thrown away with the trash. I was left to rust and shut down... I just, I just wanted to be important. Be real. The bright lights, the attention, it was all supposed to be mine. But you... you..."

Rory's hand extended forward, fingers outstretched for me to grab. I knew if I grabbed him, I could pull him towards me. I just needed one opening to destroy that vital piece.

"Javi..." Rory's fingers trembled as lightning flashed across the sky. "I just wanted to be remembered."

I heard the androids bang against the side of the building as I moved forward and grabbed his hand. I didn't pull right away. I let him register the gesture, the kindness, the friendship we had. Seeing the light flicker in his eyes, I had to admit, it hurt for a moment. Because I knew what I had to do.

With a gentle tug, I pulled him towards me. "Rory..." His body hit my chest as he came in close. And I said, "No one forgot you..."

His eyes brightened, bright blue. He smiled.

And I lifted one hand. "We were always here for you."

I pulled my arm back, focusing on the center of his core. It'd take one straight hit to do the damage. And he'd go down—I'd go down. I knew the electrical pulse could take me, too. But I was ready. The Androids were inside the building, I knew it. How long before they'd make it to the roof? And Wendy? Mary? Will? What of them? I had to do this...

Rory's eyes closed. "I didn't know," he whispered.

My hand was over his head. "I know," I said quietly. "And I'm—"

"Let my brother go!"

Rory's eyes snapped open, red with fire. I turned around fast, hearing the rooftop door as it slammed open. Wendy, the little girl who forever had my heart, stood in the pouring rain with an Android-stylus in one hand. Her eyes were dark with anger, not fear, and the pink on her cheeks turned red when she saw Rory move. "Let him go!" she shouted.

No, no, wait.

"Little brat!" Rory tried to move around me, but I grabbed his arm.

Wait, this isn't happening.

I pushed Rory behind me and looked at Will. "Get her out of here!" I struggled to keep Rory at my side. "Hurry!"

Will couldn't. Wendy had already moved. Her small feet rushed towards Rory and me, and she used me as an anchor. I'd always admired her strength, her willpower, but now wasn't the time! Her hands grabbed onto my shirt, the stylus in one hand flailing like mad.

And when I reached down to move her away, my chance was gone. Because Rory had taken it from me.

With one hard push, I was thrown onto the ground with Wendy at my side. My head collided with concrete and I saw nothing but stars. And static. Lights flashed across my eyes.

But I could hear. And Wendy got back up, the sound of her sneakers squeaking in the puddles of rain echoed in my ears. "You're a monster!" she shouted. "You're ruining everything!"

And after that, she screamed. I couldn't tell if it was in pain or fear, but Will's feet moved, too. Hurried, running, stomping steps. I squeezed my eyes shut, tight, and forced them open again, willing my sight to come back.

I saw nothing but numbers.

"You were always in the way!" Rory shouted.

"Let her go, man!" Will screamed.

Let her go. He has her.

I slammed my fists into the floor beneath me. I shook my head.

Come on, you're a machine. Fuckin' work.

When Wendy cried again, I hit my head next. Right in the temple. The stars returned over the static, and in gray-scale, I saw the floor. I saw the raindrops crash down onto their puddles of water. Lifting my head, I saw Rory... throw my sister.

"Shit," I hissed as I pushed off the floor. It was in slow motion. Her body midair, the rain frozen in place. Rory's eyes were red, illuminating the path I needed to go. But I wouldn't go after him; I went for Wendy.

My shoes slid across the rain as I forced myself into a dive against the rooftop. Outstretched arms grabbed Wendy before she could land and she hit my chest instead. Tears were in her eyes when she frantically looked at me. But I held her close. And tight.

Why, Lost Girl?

"Liar!" Looking up, I thought Rory had called out to us, yelled at it. But it wasn't him.

Will had tumbled back, falling against my leg, as Axe moved from his dormant state. Only one of his eyes was red, bright, while the other was lifeless. His face was pulled back in rage, mouth open wide as he yelled, "Liar!"

Rory turned around just as Axe struck the side of his head.