𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝒆𝓻 𝟔

Arkanis was a planet far from the outer rim, close to Tatooine and Geonosis, the ideal place to set up the Imperial Academy and keep it out of reach of the Rebels. The cadets who were trained here, under the command of Brendol Hux, became the best soldiers and officers in the entire Empire. This factory was operating at full capacity. It taught rigour, protocol, discipline and combat among all that the elite needed to know.

But for the time being, the young Hux didn't have to worry about any of this. Too young to start an academic education, he stayed with his adoptive mother most of the time. When he reached the age of three, he had to take courses with a private teacher. Indeed, he was the only child so young to live in this place and therefore there was no preparatory class before entering the first year (around 6 years old). This teacher taught him to count, write and read the basic. Jaessa had felt terribly sad when she heard the news. She was perfectly capable of teaching him all these things; she was desperate to see that Hux was gradually taking away privileged moments with Armitage. But what could she do against his will? She was nothing... Just a slave.

To forget her loneliness when the little one was away, she was busy doing household chores and offer her help in the kitchens, in which she used to work. Of course, she had no word in the young boy's new classes. She almost forgot how fast he grew up... And it struck her hard when he spoke with a surprising ease for his age, or when he proudly told her that he could count to 10, then 20 and finally 30... She was so proud of him and at the same time terrified that he grow up so fast; naively she hoped he would never become like his father, such an adorable and emotional child... It was inconceivable.

Armitage was entitled to two days of total rest during the week and today Jaessa took advantage of this opportunity to drive the boy outside after having him properly and warmly dressed. The boy was excited like a flea and for good reason, when he opened his eyes to the outside this morning a thick white coat covered the surface of the planet. The snow was rare enough here for us to take an interest in it and he had never treaded on this strange whiteness from the sky. It usually rained. The enthusiasm of the little child was understandable and quite legitimate. After walking vigorously through the corridors to an outdoor terrace, Armitage suddenly stopped to stare at the horizon and then at his mother. He seemed panicked.

- Nana.... Father doesn't want me to go out.

- Your father is not here, Armi. If we don't tell him, he won't know anything about it, you understand?

- But he always knows when I'm lying....

- Don't worry about it, darling, just look at what's in front of you. We're gonna have a great time, I promise.

Armitage seemed to hesitate for a moment, tears in his eyes, he was facing a dilemma... His father had told him hundreds of times not to leave his room, not to distract himself futilely under penalty of punishment. Jaessa gently grabbed her little hand in hers and tenderly stroked her fingers with the tips of her own. She approached him, squatted down to be at his height and took him in her arms.

- I'm not going to force you to do something you don't want, my baby, ever.... But, I know you want it deep down inside. Am I right?

- I want to see the snow Nana....

- So come with me, will you?

For any answer he gently nod his head by sniffing. This poor child was restricted to having fun and all this because of his father...how could it be possible to consider denying his child any play? To hurt him that much? Finding no answers to these questions, she pushed these thoughts out of her mind to enjoy the present moment.

The young boy's first steps in the snow were hesitant, he carefully put one foot in front of the other. Watching Jaessa between each step to make sure she was not very far away. Concentrated at first, a broad smile began to appear on his face as pale as this icy expanse. He leaned gently to grab this unknown material between his fingers and throw it a few centimetres from him. He then turned to his mother, his eyes were laughing and his smile straightforward. A burst of laughter emanated from his throat to resonate all around them, a noisy testimony to his joy. Jaessa reduced the distance between them by approaching the child.

- Would you like to build something with snow?

- Can we do that? He exclaimed joyfully

- Of course, look!

Jaessa grabbed a handful of snow between her fingers to form a ball that she put on the ground and then rolled it. The hundreds of flakes were gathering more and more on the latter and in doing so made it grow, exceeding the height of Armitage's height. He was impressed by the speed at which this sculpture was taking shape. Her mother hurried to form another ball between her fingers and handed it to her adopted son.

- Did you see how I did it? It's your turn, you're going to create the head of our snowman.

- Just like that? Asked the boy, gently rolling the little sphere in the powder.

- That's exactly what I mean, well done!

After several minutes Armitage stopped and Jaessa bent over to pick up the snowball that had become more imposing. She placed it at the top of the first one under the amazed gaze of the little boy. She cleared a little snow at his feet and picked up two small stones, she handed them to her son and said:

- He needs eyes, would you do me the honor of putting them on the man?

- Yes! Yes!

He grabbed the two stones with an enthusiastic gesture and, carried by Jaessa, he hurried to place the two minerals on the small ball in the right place. In her eyes she could see joy, pride in having accomplished such a work and above all an overflow of love that made her very emotional. Always holding the child in her arms, she give sweet kisses on his face, starting with his forehead, nose and then his cheeks. She was happy, really happy. Having the opportunity to have fun with him had become a luxury, something too rare for her to enjoy every second...Brendol's absence would only last for a while and in a few years she knew she couldn't spend so much time with him anymore.

- Nana.... Why are you crying?

She had not been able to hold back her tears of happiness and sadness mixed. These moments were so precious and imagining that she would soon no longer be entitled to them, she had collapsed. Armitage's worried look broke his heart. She hurried to wipe her face and swallow her sadness... Thinking only in the present moment, the future is not for now.

- Don't worry, Armi, I'm just very happy to have you with me.

- Do you cry when you're happy? He asked as he raised his eyebrows, thinking about the question.

- Yes, it can happen sometimes, it doesn't matter, okay?

- I cry when I'm sad...

- Me too, but right now I'm really happy to have you around, and I love you, never forget it.

- I love you, Mom.

Immediately after saying these words Armitage hugged Jaessa with his little arms of children; his cheek rested on his shoulder. The young woman had never been so radiant with happiness. She smiled during this embrace of love. It lasted only for a short while, but it was enough to give her back the little balm in her heart.

The two spent a few more hours outdoors, rolling in the snow laughing and then started throwing snowballs at each other as they chased each other. The day had a wonderful start.