𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝒆𝓻 𝟒

Long hours had passed since the girl had made this unexpected encounter. This little child that she held in the hollow of her arms was now quite calm and fell asleep from time to time, rocked by Jaessa's warmth and sweetness as well as by her voice. She even tried to sing when the infant started to get restless again. Her sweet voice whispered lullabies that her mother had once sung to her. The lyrics had disappeared into the limbo of his memory but the melody had remained intact.

What kind of horrible individual could leave such a fragile being without any supervision? She was not unaware that Hux was a heartless monster but abandoning a child to his fate for a whole day was beyond monstrosity... It was an inhuman and cruel act, her hatred towards Hux, already well established, had just crossed another stage: she could never understand or even forgive.

At nightfall the director of the academy return to his apartments and his surprise was great when he saw his bastard son in the arms of a young slave. The door closed, producing an almost inaudible sound as it moved towards Jaessa. The girl had taken care to put Armitage in her cradle, ready to confront this abject man.

- I didn't expect to see a familiar face again, especially not in my chambers.

- I wouldn't have come if I hadn't been alerted by the crying of that poor child.

- What if you mind your own business, slave?

She didn't expect it, he didn't raise his voice, he remained perfectly calm. However, the slap went off by itself and with such violence that the young teenager staggered, caught up against the mattress so as not to fall to the ground. As she regained her spirits, Brendol stepped forward, threatening, dominating her from her height while her face betrayed her anger. She had the audacity to put her slave hands on her heir. He crumpled the collar of his garment between his fingers to force her to get up, squeezing her grip so tightly that Jaessa felt the fabric bruise the thin skin of her neck.

- I should shoot you right now...He whispered in a sweet and threatening voice at the same time.

To be confronted again with the officer who had abused her a few months earlier was both psychological and physical suffering. She was shaking in front of him. Her legs would no longer support her if Brendol ever decided to let go. He looked at the girl with a scornful look, she looked down as a tear escaped from her left eye. She wanted him to release her, stop looking at her. In a surge of courage she managed to whisper in a trembling voice.

- Why was this baby unattended? I don't understand....

- I have much more important things to do than take care of this, he replied, pointing to the cradle with a vague nod as he released Jaessa by pushing her to sit on the edge of the bed.

-Let me take care of him then... I beg you, he can't stay alone... He's so small. She replied after releasing a hiccup of surprise.

Brendol Hux was initially surprised by this request and did not respond. He slowly approached the cradle in which his son was resting to cast a look of indifference and a certain repulsion at him... How could such a puny being become his worthy successor? Was that all he could offer the Empire?

- All right, but I'm still the only one in charge of his education. You will only be there to supervise him and all that is involved in caring for a child. No more, no less.

The girl could hardly believe what she had just heard and yet it was the truth. He had given his consent, the baby was saved. Despite all the revulsion she had towards him, she leaned her head gently forward as a sign of respect and submission before declaring.

- Thank you very much, sir...

She didn't like staying in this place, she had already been held there against her will for several hours so the sooner she would leave the place the better she would feel. But she didn't want to leave this baby here, who knows what her father would be able to do if the boy woke up last night crying.

- I don't want to be disturbed tonight, I still have work to do. Take him with you and settle into the apartments next to mine. Consider yourself lucky, you would never have had access to this luxury without me. Now get out of here quickly.

- Thank you, sir.

She didn't wait for us to tell her twice to leave. She then rolled the cradle with the little one asleep inside to the apartments indicated by Brendol, while trying to be as discreet as possible. She didn't like to feel the looks turning around in her path, the weight of the vicious thoughts of these imperial officers seemed to weigh down her frail shoulders. Jaessa was that kind of young girl with natural beauty, her big hazelnut eyes seemed to sparkle every time she looked somewhere, her cheekbones were chubby because of her young age and were often covered in red. Her skin was very reactive to time and emotions. Her lips were neither pulpy nor too thin, but a perfect compromise between and her complexion was as pale as Arkanis' snow.

With a tender gesture she advanced her hand to touch the child's cheek with her fine fingertips, she found him adorable. He looked so peaceful when he was asleep, unaware of the reality of the adult world, unaware that his father didn't care about him... This thought tore Jaessa's heart out and she couldn't help but shed a tear of sadness. No child deserved to be so underestimated by her father, but what could she do? She felt she had taken a huge risk by asking Hux to take charge of her son's surveillance. She would never dare tell him anything more.

She sighed desperately and then realized one thing: she had no idea what the baby's name was that she was supposed to take care of. She suddenly felt down and completely stupid, but she knew that if she disturbed Hux now she might get the officer's wrath. She watched him for a long time with a tender look as she stroked her little round cheek. She whispered in a caressing and tender voice.

- I guess we'll wait until tomorrow to know your first name, little angel.

For any answer she only perceives the slow and soothing sound of her breathing. The baby was in a deep sleep and it was time for Jaessa to go to bed too. She leaned over the baby's cradle, kissed his forehead and whispered:

- Good night, handsome child.

The day had been a real challenge.