Bright lights and City Nights

I finally got to the airport in Georgia. I had brought a plane ticket to New York with my extra money. I was going to audition for the School of American ballet.

I always thought that I was a pretty good dancer. Practicing day and night when I was in the orphanage. Everyone would tell me that once I got out of that place I needed to go to a dance school.

As I got out of security in the airport I went to a little store to get a granola bar and a water. I was finally getting out of the tiny little town I lived in and going to where dreams come true. Well for most people that is.

Hopefully I'll be just as lucky as all of those other people. But knowing my past, I most likely won't be. Luck wasn't something that came easy to me, it never had been and it probably never will be.

One of the girls that had gotten adopted early in the year lived in NYC. She was one of the sweetest girls ever, and offered to let me stay with her for a little. As I thought about how incredibly grateful I was for Brooklyn, a voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Didn't think I'd see you again." Colby, the guy I had meet on the street last night said as he sat next to me.

"Didn't think you'd even remember me. You know, since you so famous and stuff." I replied, sarcastically. Sarcasm was one of my strong suits and I took pride in that.

"How could I forget a pretty face like yours?" He flirted, "So where ya' headed?"

"NYC." I said, completely ignoring the fact that he was straight up flirting with me. I wasn't exactly used to it, Myla was usually the one everyone flirted with.

"Flight 184 to New York City is now boarding." the lady over the intercom said. I stood up from my stop on the floor to go board my flight. Of course, that little egotistical butt had to be on the same flight as me.

"Looks like we're going to the same place." Colby whispered to me from behind. Rolling my eyes at him, I handed the flight intendant my ticket and gave her a small smile.

"Here goes nothing." I whispered to myself as I stood up from the ground where I was sitting. I sat down in my seat and got out my notebook to write Carter another note. I was going to send her a bunch when I got to NYC.

As I started to write the letter, the same way I always do, I looked beside me to see Colby looking over my shoulder. He read what I had written down so far and looked at me with a funny look on his face.

"Little Sunshine?" Colby asked saying my nickname for Carter, "Who's that? Got a little sister or something."

"Something like that." I replied, looking back down at my paper and trying to act like he wasn't there. "She's my best friend but I've never been closer to anyone in my life." I said under my breath.

"Not even your parents?" If only he knew. "Not even them."