Chapter Forty-Two

Start from the beginning

“I think you’re talking about a sociopath Stiles,” she sighed.

“No, I’ve seen the video, you’re not incapable of emotion,” he said.

Her head snapped up that time and he saw the anger tick across her face, or was it fear?

“Very clever,” she said.

She walked over to him and crouched down.

“You want to know why you’re here Stiles?” she asked. “You want to know why we picked the most vulnerable human in your pathetic little pack?”

Stiles just looked at her, waiting for her too keep going. So she knew that he was human, she knew that others were human, but he couldn’t quite tell if she knew how many of them were wolves.

“You’re the key to this, to getting the job done.”

“The key? To what? What job?” he asked.

“We came to Beacon Hills following the scent of another pack, another alpha, and when we got here we found so much more than that. When we got here there were signs of something else, and after looking through the police reports I knew there’d been a Maeve here recently, I didn’t know there’d been three,” she said.

“The main goal was to take down the matriarch, and we managed that. The other two would have just been good sense to take down. It’s the same with werewolves.”

“You took down Katherine first…” Stiles said, filling in the blanks. “She was the alpha, and then you went for Derek.”

“One alpha down and the other one just keeps dodging out bullets.”

“You chose me to get to Derek,” Stiles said with a sigh. “You think he’ll do anything to keep me alive.”

“Even if that means giving himself up,” she said. “Without an alpha you can't make any more werewolves. Sure, betas can rise to the occasion, but if the alpha’s dead and there is no line of succession it’s a hell of a lot harder.”

“What makes you think they won't have a plan?”

“What makes you think we don’t?” she stood up and smiled before turning away.

“They’re not monsters Cassie!” Stiles shouted but she ignored him, not saying another word.

Scott felt an odd pinch in his stomach. It had been there for hours and he couldn’t figure out why.

It was like a tugging sensation that just wouldn’t go away, a pull that felt almost as though it was trying to tell him something. He pushed it aside because he hadn’t made the connection yet, and no one even knew that Stiles was missing.

He sat at the table with his mother, picking at his dinner as the feeling continued to gnaw at him.

“You alright Scott?” she asked.

He sighed and put his fork down. “Yeah, fine I think,” he said.

“You think? Oh god, what is it now?” she said.

“Nothing, well, no more than I already told you, it’s just…”

“Just what?” she asked, staring over at her son with his furrowed brow.

“Something just doesn’t feel right. I’ve just got this feeling.”

“Is this a werewolf thing?” she asked. “I can’t help you there, but if it’s a human thing I’ll give it my best shot,” she gave him a warm smile that he couldn’t quite return.