Chapter Ten

Alexander's POV:

I had sent in my last assignment a feeling of relief washing over me knowing that my winter vacation begun, now I sat on my bed not knowing what to do as life seemed to get duller by the moment, my phone made a ding sound and I grabbed it, there was a text from Charles, and a text from Alana, I opened Charles's first, 'just got news from my mom, my sister gets here in two days, super excited!!', I smiled, choosing to focus on the positive side of things instead, 'so am I, let's hope I'm as charming as I like to think I am'. 

I went to check Alana's text next, 'the jewels finally came in, I left them in your workshop, I do not trust anyone else to do the masks perfectly, this is a huge favor I know but I'll make it up to you, I promise, anything for you little sister!, also I won't be there to nag you while you work because I'm at a dress fitting but keep my nagging in your head to keep you going, kay love you shithead', 'these are going to take forever, I haven't done these types of projects in so long, but you only turn 18 once and I can't ruin it for you, my only condition is that you give me time, that means no nagging', she responded almost instantly, like she had the answer typed out already, 'you got it big bro'. 

I sighed getting up and walking into my workshop, I noticed the black velvet box sitting on my table as I turned on the lights and opened up the curtains, despite being awake for several hours I hadn't even noticed her coming in here, which only proved that my head was not with me right now, I sat down and gently opened the box, I was a little scared of damaging the expensive jewels inside, so I was careful with every movement I made, when I fully opened the box I wasn't that impressed, the craftsmanship was gorgeous but the jewels were classic and basic, both of them were identical and I stared at them for a while. 

Alana was turning 18 and getting married and I was going to turn 18 and run away from this hell, I felt guilty, my parents were never the best of people, but they tried their hardest to give me a proper life in here, and all I'm doing is risking their entire kingdom by running away and giving someone the chance to find out who I really am, yet again I felt frustrated knowing I wouldn't remain sane if I lived here my whole life, humans were meant to explore and as much as I hated it, I was human, with curiosities and feelings that'll never mount to anything if I stay. 

I shook my head to escape my thoughts, choosing to distract myself with the project in my hands instead, on the table there were also two blank versions of masquerade masks, I rummaged through my storage closet to find my clay and old sculpting tools, I started some music and sat down completely devoting my attention to my work, I started with Alana's first as it was a priority to her, I sculpted the curved details and let them dry as I knew they would take a couple of hours, I left the room and headed downstairs not knowing what to do to fill time. 

I walked into the kitchen and Simpson was talking to one of the maids, 'hey pops', he smiled, walking up to me and pulling me into a tight hug, 'it seems like I can never see you anymore', I pulled away heading for the fridge and opening it, 'ever since you got that prince around it seems I've gotten boring', he chuckled and I closed the fridge and glared at him, 'no one and I mean no one will take your place as my best friend Sim, what do you say we hang out today?, like old times', he sighed a smile resting on his face, 'only if you'll pick a good movie', 'you got it pops', I gave him a cheeky grin and he instantly knew what it meant, 'I'll make you my world famous caramel popcorn', I jumped up in excitement like a little kid, 'I'll see you in 10', I rushed out of the room and to the movie room. 

I looked at the long list films feeling indecisive, choosing one just as Simpson walked in, I quickly snatched the bowl of popcorn from his hands as we both sat down, the movie was a thriller, and the main conflict was about a couple who wanted to be together but seemed to be challenged by an obsessive serial killer, it was just the kind of movie I liked, mysterious and enticing.