Chapter Five

I opened my eyes and was surrounded by darkness, the only source of light was the projector playing a blank image, I rubbed my eyes in an attempt to understand my surroundings, I felt a weight on my shoulder and when I looked to my side I was met with a sleeping Charles, we had fallen asleep talking, I couldn't remember about what exactly but I remembered I was trying my hardest to make him laugh so he wouldn't be scared of falling asleep, it was a successful mission. 

I glanced at my watch, and it read 9:30, I knew I had some school work to do so as slowly and gently as I could, I moved from under him, I placed his head on pillow instead and he moved a bit to get comfortable but didn't bat an eye, I stood up and walked out of the room, the sunlight hitting from the large windows made my eyes sore. 

I continued down the hallway and up to my room, I grabbed a quick shower before taking my laptop and going downstairs for breakfast, when I entered the kitchen Simpson was already there, he was sat on a chair sipping on a cup of tea and most likely reading the paper on his phone, I glanced him a smile and he grinned, 'my boy, how'd you sleep?'. 

My face involuntarily turned into a smile at the thought of last night, I don't think I've ever laughed so much in my entire life, I was grateful for Charles's livelihood reminding me that life can be enjoyable even when you're trapped inside what feels like a tiny cardboard box, 'I slept alright, what about you old man?', he chuckled, 'I'm old alright, I slept at nine then woke up at six, I feel like I'm 80 already', I gave him a fake frown, 'stop calling yourself old or else', he put his hands up in surrender, 'you win kiddo'. 

He stood up ruffling my hair and leaving the kitchen, I sighed opening the fridge grabbing some ingredients to make pancakes, I cuffed my sleeves and started working, I realized I forgot to grab a cup and turned to the cupboard to get it, my eyes fell on the tall figure standing at the door, and for the first time I managed to stay on my feet despite the surprise. 

He grinned still looking sleepy, 'see you're getting used to my stalker self', 'good morning Charles', my tone was sarcastic as I pretended to not appreciate his creepiness, as I reached for the cup I needed and I found my eyes analyzing Charles, he was dressed in the same normal outfit he was wearing yesterday, I liked when he wore normal clothes because I could notice his comfort increase whenever he would, his hair looked messy but still somehow complimented his sharp features. 

I shook my head to snap myself out of my thoughts, I returned to my work and I heard his footsteps as he walked into the kitchen and pulled out a chair to sit on, 'so what's on the menu chef?', I rolled my eyes with a smile even though my back was all he could see, 'I'm making pancakes for myself but I'll consider giving you some if you help', he let out a loud sigh as he got up and stood next to me, 'you're lucky I'm hungry', I hummed and continued adding ingredients.

 He wasn't doing much but having him around to touch thing he didn't have to felt much better than being on my own, 'grab the red pan', he jumped off the counter he had occupied, 'which cabinet?', 'third one on the left', I turned on the stove, I heard some clanking sounds before he came back with the pan in his hand, I placed it on the stove, I waited a few second for it to heat up before I poured some batter into it. 

When I was done Charles was blessing me with his awful singing voice to "help me hurry up", I handed him his plate then pointed to a cabin that had the syrup in it, I grabbed something different and I saw him grimace as I chopped some bananas over my pancakes then proceeded to pour chocolate sauce on them. 

'you're a psychopath, who in the name of the pancake gods doesn't use syrup?', I sat next to him as I felt him judging me his mouth still full from the bite he was chewing, 'syrup tastes like sugar water and it's awful', he shook his head in disappointment, 'and you aren't one to talk, you like that horrendous candy that might as well be called "chopped up soap"', he gave me a look that said "touché". 

We both ate and chatted, when we were done, we both went our separate ways as I had to do the work I had forgotten about and he had to see Alana after not seeing her the whole day yesterday. 

I sat on my bed writing my last essay for that day, I was bored out of my mind, and I felt myself let out a sigh as I wrote the ending of it, I made sure to save all my work then close my laptop before going to my workshop, I sat in my chair yet again, I slid over and started some calm music to help me unwind and get into my creative mind space, I found my hand moving on its own which was strange because I thought I'd struggle a lot more to find something to paint, but in that moment my mind knew exactly what to put on the canvas. 

It was almost an hour later when I finished, I signed my initials and backed away to look at it fully, I had painted two hands, just barely holding onto each other almost like something is pulling them apart, the background was a mash of messy colors and I myself had a hard time understanding what was the meaning of it all, I absentmindedly wandered out the room, I headed for the living room as my body yearned for some heat. 

I walked in, happy to see that the fireplace was already lit, though the room was already occupied and I almost left instantly but I was caught in an awkward exchange of eye contact, 'sorry I didn't you guys were in here', Alana smiled, 'it's alright you can join if you want, I'm trying to pick a theme for my birthday party', Charles looked at me, a pleading look in his eyes, I put all the power in my body not to laugh as I walked in and sat on the couch next to Alana. 

'Charles has been trying to help me but I know you understand my vision a lot more', she threw and album full of photos into my lap and started explaining, I zoned out for a split second to look at Charles who mouth a "thank you", I rolled my eyes then focused back on Alana, her dramatics didn't stop and I wasn't shocked at the overly big budget she set for her party. 

'so you see I want like vintage royal theme but with a modern twist to it, and a bit of a masquerade touch because I love masks and I have an idea for a custom one that'll look awesome, you'll help me sketch it out right?', 'of course I will Ala, but just a reminder the party is not for another two months', I gave a hesitant smile and her expression deadpanned, 'it's never too early is it', she clenched her jaw, 'nope it never is'. 

She was scary when she got mad and I was afraid of her, Charles managed to make an excuse to slip out of the room leaving me to deal with the whole lot that is Alana, it was at least two hours when she finally decided it was enough planning for the day, I rushed out of the room like a man who just got out of prison after 15 years. 

I went to Charles's room where I thankfully found him sitting on the balcony, 'you are dead to me', I sat down on the chair next to him, as I finally got some fresh air into my lungs, 'I owe you one?', he gave a fake innocent grin, 'you owe me a lot more than that but I'll let it slide this time', 'thank you for your generosity', 'I don't appreciate your sarcasm', he just smirked, 'anyways I'm dead so I'm gonna crash', I stood up giving him a quick slap on the arm as payback, I started walking away but he grabbed my arm, I looked back at him, his expression had softened, 'but really, I mean it, thank you', 'no problem', he let go of my arm and I felt a harsh pang in my chest, I started walking away and called out wishing him a good night, he did the same, after all that ranting from Alana I can safely say I slept like a baby the second I got to bed. 

Royal Mistake || BxB || Complete.जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें